Pioneer DDJ-SB help with audacity

Default Pioneer DDJ-SB help with audacity

Hi boys I have a pioneer DDJ-SB controller that's conected to my Vivinco MX850 mixer that's conected to my PC, I'm finding I'm getting a lot of humming interfeance on my audacity when recording though my dj controller

Could this be down to my mixer being over 20 years old and not supporting the dj contoller...????
    Last edited by Slaneydore; 09-27-2014 at 02:50 AM.
    2x technics 1210s - DDJ SB Pioneer - Vivanco MX850

I get a whole lot of noise here from the power lines when I'm using the line-in on my computer - this will not do for actual recording, but as a test (and if you're on a laptop) - see if you still get the hum when you don't have your laptop plugged into the wall.

Sorry for the late reply mate, been away...
    I'm using a PC and only get the hum if I plug in the DDJ-SB to my tower...
    Tried everything I can think off and I'm still getting the hum.... I'm even getting interference on my PC speakers as soon as I plug in the DJJ-SB

It really sounds like it's the quality of your powerlines that's the problem to me. Do you know anyone that might be able to loan you a UPS with line conditioning for testing purposes? If you do, and that fixes your problem, then it is definitely your power that's the problem.

You could be right, but it only seems to happen when I connect my controller to my mixer... Both decks don't give any humming in audacity it's just the controller... And I'm using gold plated 1m phono cable to connect the controller to my mixer... I do have a 5M usb from my controller to my PC ---- do you think it could be that giving me interference ????

Hrm... I don't know for sure. I tend to think of power lines, but if you don't get the hum when feeding it back in to your PC and then into Audacity, then that suggests something else indeed. I would tend to doubt a USB cable, as that is not an analog connection - not impossible, but instead of hum, bad digital signal tends to result in artifacts like you get from a bad MP3 (weird sounding glitches).

Do you have another audio source you could plug into your mixer? Maybe even an iDevice, just something that can pump some audio to the mixer?

Ultimately, you need to just start eliminating problem sources at this point.

Thanks for your reply deathy
    Been racking my brains the past few days and I think I might have found what it could be...
    I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that sits in front of my mixer and transmits a good 6 ft across to my PC...
    I'm going to disconnect it later and see if I'm still getting the interference while conected to my mixer