should i upgrade? xone 42 --> xone 92
    Tech Mentor

Default should i upgrade? xone 42 --> xone 92

my recently purchased xone mixer has a faulty wiring issue. thankfully, the retailer i bought it from is going to warranty the mixer with a voucher. i love the 42, and use the send/returns with an effects processor. but my style is more of blending tracks together, and i feel the 4 band EQ is more advantageous than a 3 band.

So, here is the question, do you think its worth dropping the cash (about 2x) for the advantages of the 92? send/returns are pretty crucial for me, which is why I'm not looking at the 62.

Tech Mentor

62 has one send return but the dual filter on the 92 is nice. You might need to run the return on the 62 into a channel but with 6 this shouldn't be an issue and then you can feedback the FX... I had a 62 for about 6 years and a 3D for maybe 7.

I actually prefer the 3 bad EQ but that's a personal thing.

Tech Mentor

im not sure i understand. Are you talking about the Aux?

4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tech Mentor

Yes, the AUX (auxiliary output) is a send. You return into a channel on the mixer. If you look at the top down view of the mixer you'll see the AUX knob at the very top of each channel and it does have a pre/post option for pre-fader send.

Tech Mentor

thats a game changer. thanks @teknik1200

I liked my xone:62 while I had it. I got rid of it after a while...I'm still not exactly sure why. I think I downgraded the mixer to afford a pair of 1200s again.

The send/aux is awkward, but it's about the same as on the 92 (except the 92 has 2 of them). If you return the unit to a channel you can assign to the crossfader (the leftmost 2 on both the 62 and 92 can't be assigned) and set it pre-fader, you can use the CF as a wet/dry mix. That's kind of cool. But, it takes one of the "better" channels to do it.

As for the EQ.....I prefer the xone 4-band to any other EQ just for the high-mid control. It controls snare/hat grooves really well, which ends up being important for the music I play. I think it's more useful than a bass control (since you can modulate that with pitch bending bass in and out of phase to take advantage of interference). If I had to choose 1 EQ control to have on each channel, it'd be that one.

And filters....yeah....idk. Xone filters had their heyday like a decade ago. Pioneer more or less copied them, and now every idiot big-room-sleaze DJ plays with those knobs when they don't have anything better to do. I have the Z filter mapped on my traktor controllers right now, but it's mostly because I can't think of anything else to do with the knobs yet. When you really get down to it, the 92 has 3 things over the 62: a rotary option, a second send, and a second filter. Over the 42, both have that awesome high-mid EQ.

I have repeatedly concluded that the 92 isn't worth what it costs. And I think I paid $500 for my older UK-Made 62 a few years ago because some idiot painted the faceplate blue (and covered-up all of the markings). It's definitely a $500 mixer. For a grand or so and a China-made one, I'd have to think long and hard about it. But I'd probably land on the 62 unless I wanted the rotary version...which is where I am, and I'm just buying something different.

Sorry for rambling.