Normalize Volume + BPM when DJ'ing from CDJ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Normalize Volume + BPM when DJ'ing from CDJ?

Hey all,

So I opened for a pretty huge headliner a year ago now who will remain unnamed and I got the opportunity to watch his DJ'ing up very close. Needless to say, I found out a dirty little secret about how he DJs and was wondering what he used to do it.

Each and every single one of his tracks was 130BPM, so he would just adjust the pitch .8% when doing in any direction tempo wise, so no real "beatmatching" was necessary, he would just change the pitch in increments of .8%. On top of that, he had standardized all of his tracks to be the same volume so no gain adjustments were necessary.

Worst of all, he played like 12 different 5 minute long mashups, but that I don't really care about. It's typical bullshit.

I'm curious to know if he just warped the tracks in Ableton to be 130BPM and what plugin he just to standardize all of the gains without squashing the dynamics of the track?

Do you or anyone you know do this?
    Progressive/Electro/Tech/Deep House DJ/ Producer from Pittsburgh, PA.

"Worst of all" ...why? It's not a big deal. Playing a 5 minute long mashup is pretty normal. Over 7 minutes I'd be asking questions. A song/mashup is general 4-6 minutes. Sounds like you're complaining, but you're probably going to do the same thing if you're asking.

So, there's a lot of ways to change a songs bpm. 1) depends on your software. I use Audacity (free), because it is the easier and best for that imo. You just put in which bpm the song is at and at what bpm you want it to be, press ok, export, done.

For the gain, there's MP3gain (free). It normalizes all your mp3 files to a certain level that you decided.

I change the tempo on the spot and for the gain, I'm still debating whether I should use Mp3gain or not. I'll end up doing it, I think.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    "Worst of all" ...why? It's not a big deal. Playing a 5 minute long mashup is pretty normal. Over 7 minutes I'd be asking questions. A song/mashup is general 4-6 minutes. Sounds like you're complaining, but you're probably going to do the same thing if you're asking.

So, there's a lot of ways to change a songs bpm. 1) depends on your software. I use Audacity (free), because it is the easier and best for that imo. You just put in which bpm the song is at and at what bpm you want it to be, press ok, export, done.

For the gain, there's MP3gain (free). It normalizes all your mp3 files to a certain level that you decided.

I change the tempo on the spot and for the gain, I'm still debating whether I should use Mp3gain or not. I'll end up doing it, I think.
    Appreciate your answer. I said worst of all because when I DJ, I basically make it as technical and as challenging as possible. It was a little disappointing seeing a headliner who I looked up to playing like that, but oh well, it's not my business and he having a lot of fun regardless.

Tech Guru

Most people headlining have earned their spots because of their production, not their DJing.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Also, the dude probably pays someone to do it for him.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

More than likely warped the tracks on ableton had a friend a fellow DJ that did the same and Tbh it's not much different to using sync if u think about it just hope they then use the opputunity to be more creative.
    DJ, Producer, Radio Presenter & Tutor
    Win8 64bit / TP2.6.8 / Ableton / Maschine
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U
    Twitter: @joegrime
    www.soundcloud.com/joegrime // www.mixcloud.com/joegrime

Tech Mentor

chances are the audience doesn't really care about how technical and how bad ass you are behind the decks, because they cant tell and they probably don't care.

they just want to party

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    chances are the audience doesn't really care about how technical and how bad ass you are behind the decks, because they cant tell and they probably don't care.

they just want to party
    maybe they don't know because all they've ever seen is mediocre. In my experience folks do notice when the DJ is going far beyond the standard fare that everyone has grown accustomed to.

Tech Wizard

Doh, or they could just be using Platinum Notes. Can't believe I forgot about that one!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tenova View Post
    Each and every single one of his tracks was 130BPM,
    This is vague....do you mean:

1) This DJ selected tracks from a variety of artists and remixers that were all in a narrow range of tempo?
    2) This DJ selected tracks that they also produced, and those tracks were in a narrow range of tempo?

Headlining is less about a DJing as a "service" and more about DJing as an "art." In most cases "headliners" need to be somewhat "conservative" in their approach to their performance. Perhaps "risk averse" is a better description. The goal of the headliner is to present a clean set across a wide range of environments and audiences that showcases their "point of view" and "taste."

I wasn't there, so I can't comment on the specifics. But, from your description the biggest issues appear to come from a difference between your "point of view" and "taste" and the headliners "point of view" and "taste."
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast