What DJ Equipment Should I get?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What DJ Equipment Should I get?

I want to start to DJ but I'm not sure on what equipment to buy. I was thinking to get a Midi Fighter Pro from DJ TechTools, which is about $350, and then a Traktor Kontrol S2, which is about $600-650 depending on where you order it, from to go along with it. They are both mid range priced so they're not super expensive but there are cheaper options. the Kontrol S2 also comes with a copy of Traktor Pro 2 which is almost $300 by itself and is a great piece of software.

What are your thoughts?

Hey, what's your budget?
    Would you like to use a Controller, Turntable, or CDJ?
    Which software do you prefer, Serato, Traktor or?

I think the S2 would be a great option for beginners who want to use Traktor,
    it sucks when you purchase a really cheap controller,
    and have to buy a new one when you get better at it.
    www.rueychingchen.com
    https://www.facebook.com/michael.rcchen
    Technics MK5K + Traktor Z2 + KRK RP5
    Mac Book Pro 2012 13"
    Traktor Kontrol S4 MK2

So it sounds like youre interested in using Traktor vs Serato Im not sure if you know the difference between the two software packages but thats one thing you should look at. All the Midi Fighters are $219 I didnt see the MFP listed. I started out with a modular setup first I got the Native Instruments F1 with a $50 voucher then I got the X1-MKII. I wanted to ditch the computer as much as I could so I could get that DJ feeling then I got a DJ Tech X10 usb mixer. I think my setup is pretty nice and compact and does what I want it to do.I wouldnt go too cheap you may pay for it later when you feel you want something better.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    So it sounds like youre interested in using Traktor vs Serato Im not sure if you know the difference between the two software packages but thats one thing you should look at. All the Midi Fighters are $219 I didnt see the MFP listed. I started out with a modular setup first I got the Native Instruments F1 with a $50 voucher then I got the X1-MKII. I wanted to ditch the computer as much as I could so I could get that DJ feeling then I got a DJ Tech X10 usb mixer. I think my setup is pretty nice and compact and does what I want it to do.I wouldnt go too cheap you may pay for it later when you feel you want something better.
    Would you recommend the X10? I bought a X-Session Pro for £10 as a stopgap but obviously will look to upgrade at some point. Looks like that also covers the sound card side of things....

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackhao View Post
    Traktor Pro 2 which is almost $300 by itself and is a great piece of software.
    No it's about $80 - Its Traktor SCRATCH Pro that's up in the 100's and that's because you get other hardware with it.

You just need Traktor Pro 2 (not the scratch version).

S2 is the way to go for beginners - you can use sync and start mixing straight away or you can use the jogs and faders and learn to beat match manually.

Or a Pioneer DDJ SB but then you'll probs end up spending money on the Serato DJ upgrade from Serato Intro... whicj i think is $129

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/DJ_C...e#.VCq2vSldUqY

http://serato.com/dj-intro/upgrade
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    My bad I misread the post, To tell you the truth I wouldnt reccomend the X10 not because its a bad product in fact its an awesome mixer but the support side of things is lacking in a bad way.
    Last edited by bc6; 10-01-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Get an old school desk and a 30mm hole saw, then turn it into one giant Midifighter!

For what it's worth, a cheap "toy" controller is still good for learning on. Yes, you'll end up upgrading sooner rather than later, but I bought an 80 euro Hercules DJ Control Instinct, which is a very small thing, but it is more than sufficient for me to learn a lot of the things I need to learn and it got me into learning to DJ a lot sooner as I wouldn't have been able to purchase a more expensive controller for a lot longer.

For what it's worth, though, the cheaper your controller, the more beneficial it is for you to have strong technical skills - I have heavily modified my mapping to allow for a lot more functionality than the default mapping has.

S2 is a great starting controller - good quality and easy to get along with when first starting out. The other way to go would be modular which is great but I would recommend the s2 to start.
    DJ, Producer, Radio Presenter & Tutor
    Win8 64bit / TP2.6.8 / Ableton / Maschine
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U
    Twitter: @joegrime
    www.soundcloud.com/joegrime // www.mixcloud.com/joegrime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast