CDJ 850 / DJM 850 - Proc's & Con's?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJ 850 / DJM 850 - Proc's & Con's?

So, been saving alot to get a CDJ setup.

I like Traktor, I currently have a Numark N4 & an F1 for remix decks / effects. But I have zero club CDJ experience, and of course the old debate of not being taken seriously if I was to rock up to a club with that setup is a major issue where I live. The only club near me that plays my style of music can be very hipstery / "vinyl only" / no controllers type people, even though I have the upmost respect for their views, and I can see where their coming from if they are of that generation and spent years collecting slabs of wax.

I was thinking of a CDJ 850 & DJM 850 setup as I could, should I wish incorporate Traktor for library & remix sets.

I'm just wondering has anyone any advice on this particular setup?

Is the CDJ 850 under rated? as I have read mixed reviews

Tech Mentor

I have to ask, why are you getting a CDJ setup? CDJ's are not really that much different from controllers. Ask a local club owner if you can have a go before they open or something or rent some for a midweek. There's no real need to own a CDJ setup IMO.

Tech Guru

I don't regret moving to CDJs at all.

That said, I'd take a controller over a CDJ850. CDJ850 is pretty barebones for what it costs. CDJ900 however may be worth it.

If they are very into vinyl, why not look into DVS?
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Schalenberg

I have CDJ 850s and a DJM 900, and boy do I miss my 900s Nexus. The waveform on the 850 is close to useless, but they're perfect for basic mixing. For Traktor use, I recommend saving yourself a ton of money by just buying an interface to hook up to the club setup.

Tech Guru

Yup... CDJ900 NXS is amazing. I've got one of those and a CDJ2000.

The zoom waveform spoils me so much.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

@ Scalage - I understand where your coming from, but I want to be proficient etc. There ain't much like that round me. But I take your point into consideration. Plus the added fun I having it at home to play with haha

@ SlverDragon50 - I haven't been able to source a pair of CDJ900's that were used and what I think is at a decent price in Ireland, and they are discontinued on Thomann recently. I was gonna buy them new and then the 850 2nd hand. I was tempted by DVS, especially with the new pioneer tables, and a DJM850 setup for timecode. But I haven't heard much about the Pioneer tables and they are massive! + would need an X1! Ireland has a very small / niche market for DJ Gear, for instance, I only ever once saw 1 Xone 92 for sale...ever haha

Appreciate your feedback

Tech Mentor

I don't really care what you do, I'm just always curious what moves people towards CDJ's now that I've had some experience with them (2000 and 2000nexus). I wasn't that impressed with them to be honest and I don't really find it noticably more fun either. But it's good to know that if I ever come across some I don't have to be scared that I won't be able to use them.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg798 View Post
    @ Scalage - I understand where your coming from, but I want to be proficient etc. There ain't much like that round me. But I take your point into consideration. Plus the added fun I having it at home to play with haha

@ SlverDragon50 - I haven't been able to source a pair of CDJ900's that were used and what I think is at a decent price in Ireland, and they are discontinued on Thomann recently. I was gonna buy them new and then the 850 2nd hand. I was tempted by DVS, especially with the new pioneer tables, and a DJM850 setup for timecode. But I haven't heard much about the Pioneer tables and they are massive! + would need an X1! Ireland has a very small / niche market for DJ Gear, for instance, I only ever once saw 1 Xone 92 for sale...ever haha

Appreciate your feedback
    Ah, that sucks. There's so many CDJ900s flooding the market here now. Here's a fantastic CDJ comparison chart.

http://www.djresource.eu/Topics/stor...parison-Chart/

Quantize is worth the money.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Ah, that sucks. There's so many CDJ900s flooding the market here now.
    I wish that was very much the case here my friend, x2 900's and I would be set. The djm is easily enough to come by.

Could flick in and out of traktor then as I please. I troll Irelands advertisement websites, so hopefully one will pop up

Tech Guru

Sounds good.

If you just want to get used to the feel of the platters and whatnot, maybe just pick up a pair of Denon SC-2000 for the time being and use them with Traktor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast