Mixers... I need help
    Tech Convert

Default Mixers... I need help

Can someone explain mixers to me... What is the difference between an analogue and a midi mixer... pros/cons? Which connects to what? ps... what is best for the oxygen 8 set up?

Tech Guru

for a cheap setup you can try a hybrid mixer like a numark 950 USB
    http://www.numark.com/dm950usb#2
    it also has a bluit in sound card.
    but I've never used it, can't say anything about his quality...

Tech Convert

i have a sound card... (M-audio fast track pro)

Hi mate. If you already have a good midi controller you wont need a mixer with midi functions, such as the djm800 or ddm-4000, a good basic 4 channel will do you fine.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by alvrz1908 View Post
    Can someone explain mixers to me... What is the difference between an analogue and a midi mixer... pros/cons? Which connects to what? ps... what is best for the oxygen 8 set up?
    ok there's alot of different products available:

you can get a straight up dj mixer, like rane, ecler, etc. in this category there is analogue and digital mixers. the outputs of the soundcard go into the inputs of the mixer.

you can get a straight up midi controller that replicates a mixer, like the x-session pro, that doesn't make sound, just midi actions. that plugs into usb.

you can get a dj mixer with midi control, like the DJM-800, which acts like a traditional mixer and also has midi.

i personally think the best way to go is get a good mixer, and keep the midi seperate. but that's cause i like to mix out of the box. to me you just can't beat the feel of real faders, for real-time mixing work.

good luck
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Convert

thanks for actually addressing most of my questions...

If you are patient enough to save some extra money and you can still grab hold of it, try the older Ecler Nuo4. You'll love it.
    4 channel mixer, on which two channels can be designated to MIDI. Still high on my wanted list!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

analog mixer: just controls sound that's fed into it, nothing digital

midi mixer: can send controls like knobs/faders/buttons into software and control it via midi messages. for example, if you were to turn a knob on the mixer, it would turn a knob in the software. with midi, there is no audio involved. however most midi mixers have inputs as well, but are usually coupled with a sound card that can feed the audio into it.

hope i'm not being too confusing.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    analog mixer: just controls sound that's fed into it, nothing digital
    take a look at my post, just so people know that not all dj mixers are analog.