Dj Isolator on xone 92 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I've never owned a 92, but I've owned a 62, and I really can't think of why that would be the case unless a&h really fucked up building it or you didn't manage your sends properly.

Tech Mentor

Nope. Everything was setup properly.

Weird. Does it happen with both of them?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Weird. Does it happen with both of them?
    Nope...well setup the recommended way through the aux/outs with the 92, it gives me crazy feedback and flange. (Without having to drown out the main pot, which I refuse to do every single time.) I may have spent a little more with "two" units, however, I have to say, it is rather SICK. I have had SO MANY different setups in the past few decades, and this one I have now makes me feel like I will never need to update again. There is a point where adding more to your setup actually takes away from your performance as an artist. That saying "more is less" is true alot of times. With all the options available now as a producer/artist/dj...I feel it makes it harder to really FOCUS on what you are trying to portray in your art/piece/set/mix. Keeping it simple is great. When you have mastered the basics, everything else is just supplementary. Of course, some may disagree, but think about it. The best effects are the ones you do not notice (overly). Subtlety is a lost art.

I think I agree with everything you said, but I think you also misunderstood me.

I was wondering if you were getting feedback on both of the sends. That implies to me that the -inf setting isn't actually -inf, which is bad. The only way I see it actually generating feedback is if your return is getting sent back to the effects unit.

The flange is normal and just a cost of digital effects....no matter how good they are, they induce some latency. Setting the EFX 100% wet will help that to a degree. And there are a lot of other issues with using send (as opposed to insert) effects with a DJ mixer. The best solution I've seen was to use one of the main channels as your return (if you can spare it) and then use the CF as a wet/dry control. That's how I'd set it up if I could spare the channel. Fortunately, I don't really want a xone:92 anymore and I don't really use effects, certainly not enough to justify buying a hardware unit. I really only use delays, and I'm learning to do that with doubles (inspired by an OG who's been doing it for 40 years and is smoother than most effects units I've heard).

If you've got 2 of them and are only (or primarily) spinning with 2 decks, there's no reason not to just put them b/t the source and the mixer. It's simpler that way.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, feedback no matter what. Some people actually have recommended getting a separate mixer just for this reason. I find it counter-productive and unnecessary. The 92 is a superb mixer with great sound quality and many many inputs and options. People do use the 92 with effects (primarily w/Ableton) but I'm just not one of those DJ's. I also only use delays, 85% of the time, and used correctly. Some flange and some echoes here and there. Less is always more, and then more is more when called for. There is a fine line. I mix with a rotary 92, it also has a crossfader too. I don't want to use the crossfader period. I also don't want to mess around with another channel just for effects. The way I have it set up now is really SICK. I've used so many effects units, and the way my setup is now is just plain functional and simple. Love it. I can route it with multiple sources. Thanks though mostapha.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234