8-Bit NES VCI-100 mod - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by ryan catcher View Post
    alright. i'm going to make the first jump and paint my knobs and the wheels:

i think for the knobs i'm going to use:

has anyone used this before? does it actually work like it's suppose to?

should get the job done in the next couple days. i'm going to do a "painting your vci-100" step by step tutorial....
    Anything that says no sanding or no primer is full of crap, dont believe it, to do anything properly you need to sand and prime it.

Trust me i work in the industry and all the time companies are like these sell things saying no primer or sanding is required, its all total lies. To do a proper job you need to sand and plastic prime before top coating - i can tell you that companies doing this seriously pisses me off the painting industry is full of people using these sorts of products. In most cases theres so such thing as no primer required, especially on such a high wear area like knobs.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 08-24-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Anything that says no sanding or no primer is full of crap, dont believe it, to do anything properly you need to sand and prime it.

Trust me i work in the industry and all the time companies are like these sell things saying no primer or sanding is required, its all total lies. To do a proper job you need to sand and plastic prime before top coating - i can tell you that companies doing this seriously pisses me off the painting industry is full of people using these sorts of products. In most cases theres so such thing as no primer required, especially on such a high wear area like knobs.
    thanks for the advice and prompt response, you are the man bento.

so to make sure i got this right:
    sand the knobs down with 400 grit then apply a coat of plastic primer and regular spray paint?

could i use a panint marker to mark the knobs?

any suggestions on brands of paint / sand paper would be awesome. i'm probably just going to rock 3m sandpaper and krylon paint..
    "This is the soundtrack to the nightmares in which I can't wake up. I'm about to be murdered, or I'm being forced to jump off a cliff. Thank you."
    http://www.myspace.com/kagnawh

Quote Originally Posted by ryan catcher View Post
    thanks for the advice and prompt response, you are the man bento.

so to make sure i got this right:
    sand the knobs down with 400 grit then apply a coat of plastic primer and regular spray paint?

could i use a panint marker to mark the knobs?

any suggestions on brands of paint / sand paper would be awesome. i'm probably just going to rock 3m sandpaper and krylon paint..
    Sand with 400 grit, prime then sand again with 600 grit, then paint it in a polyurethane (make sure your not spraying an enamel, it wont last). After that you could sand them with a 1200 grit and individually cut and polish them to get them super super shiney, if your not a pro at using a spray can you can get away can get away with murder if you put in the time to sand back and cut and polish your work to get it super super shiney, mainly applies to the main vci plate as a whole though, as trying to fix runs on knobs would be very difficult because of all the grooves.

The paint pen could work, but will be prone to wearing off, you could counter that by putting a nice healthy coat of clear coat over the top of the knob and lightly lightly sanding down the face of the knob your putting the pen on with 600 grit before you mark it.

For any product you use, find the product specification data sheet and read that - dont trust the back of paint cans and ever dont ever think about trusting the front of one. Ive found time and time again that the product specification data sheet has vital information about the product and what it can and cant bond to thats never displayed on the can at all. Don't trust the people in paint stores either, for the most part they are just as bad unless you know a place that specializes in car panel and paint - one would hope that they know what they are talking about. Even then though you should be reading product specification data sheets - preferably before you buy the product to begin with.

Try to stick to pro car products, they are generally higher quality than anything else your going to be able to get your hands on. DIY products generally bite the big one and are always so damn misleading in what the product can and cannot do.

Its also handy especially if you don't do this all the time to stick to all the same brand of products that are designed to go with one another, that way you don't have to worry about paint failing because it reacting badly with the primer coat you put on from another company.

The 3m sand paper is good thats what i use for the most part, it tends to last a bit longer than other brands.

Tech Convert

yoo all..
    so this is my mock up..
    the aligment its not adjust well
    nothing biggy so here it is..

this files is being reduced,
    if you need a bigger one I'll send one

cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123