Respecting the song by mixing with outros?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Respecting the song by mixing with outros?

I had a weird conversation with a DJ the other day, guys has had residencies all over the world, quite famous. I was scolded for mixing out mid-way through a song because I was bored of it. He said I might be bored by the audience wanted to listen to the song. Now he also produces so I thought he might be sensitive about it but it got me wondering regardless. Do you guys tend to only mix in the outros and intros?

Sometimes tracks are produced that don't really have a traditional outro after melody. I get this occasionally in "nu disco" where a refrain seems to play on and on for 32 bars and then a sudden end to the track...maybe this is the outro :\ haha. But I'll typically try to get out of it using FX.
    However there are times when I loop a portion of the breakdown and bring a new (or old actually) track in.
    Sometimes songs just take too damn long to develop for a short attention span audience and I'll make an edit of these kind of tracks or find a loop before a drop.
    I dunno, I don't think there is a definitive proper way to go about. If the crowd enjoys it then great...if you enjoy it then great as well. I will say that listening to a mix that tries too hard to keep new tracks every 3-4 minutes gets tiring.
    I''l do this while prcticing at home but would never play this way out for a whole set.

So had the crowd cleared the floor for that song or was there still a good number of people out there dancing?
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

depends on the genre. if you did this with trance there would be no flow to the mix. its easy enough to chop and change with a lot of house though.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Banned

Jester, you nailed it for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    So had the crowd cleared the floor for that song or was there still a good number of people out there dancing?
    Dancing before and after

Mix whenever you want. If there's a long break with nothing happening then I think mixing before that is what you should do (I'm talking about mixing in clubs, not festivals) or edit the track and remove the boring parts. But I do see a lot of DJ that mix before the best part of the song even comes, which I find f*cking weird.

You will get bored of your songs before anyone else (unless you spin the same big room set as everyone else), so be mindful of that.

As for mixing out early? Idk....use your judgment, but it bugs me when DJs mix out just because they can't stand to sit there and do nothing for 5 minutes. If the song isn't good enough to listen to, why did you play it? (Hotmix sets and hip-hop where you're often JUST pulling out specific verses is a different beast)

As for long un-danceable sections, it depends on the crowd. But in this wonderful technologically advanced world, there's no reason you can't just add a drum/bass groove to a long breakdown.

Tech Mentor

A lot of older DJ's philosophy is that tracks should be played their full length and with minimum of effects added afaik
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Agree with people saying it depends on the genre. Having said that if I'm on the other side it annoys me when people constantly chop and change... hip hop DJs are the worst offenders IMO. I saw Tim Westwood ages ago and he couldn't play any track for more than about 1 min... he was very good at mixing but a terrible DJ.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast