Discussion for Retina MBP Owners: Traktor Library on External HDD VS SDCARD VS TB - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I disagree just because they don't die if they're dropped.

But, then, I don't have any spinning platters anywhere in my home except in my 16TB NAS and think hard drives are not worth putting up with for any purpose except archive storage.
    Lols, you dont have any spinning platters apart from the huge number in you 16TB Nas. Thats an enormous amount of storage on a format you wont put up with

I thought my NAS was out of control with 6TB.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    Not very cost efficient, but more about the convenience of not having anything disconnect mid set.
    A HDD isn't more likely to disconnect than an SSD...
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Lols, you dont have any spinning platters apart from the huge number in you 16TB Nas. Thats an enormous amount of storage on a format you wont put up with

I thought my NAS was out of control with 6TB.
    It's also a NAS. It's limited by the 4x100Mbit connection to my lan, which is fast enough for automatic backups and streaming HD movies to all my junk, which is all I use it for.

Also...

I...think hard drives are not worth putting up with for any purpose except archive storage.
    That's exactly what it is.

Tech Guru

It's also a NAS. It's limited by the 4x100Mbit connection to my lan, which is fast enough for automatic backups and streaming HD movies to all my junk, which is all I use it for.

Also...

That's exactly what it is.
    Just making jokes. Are you quoting yourself now?

update: i decided to be a test pilot for this:

Transcend JetDrive Lite (128GB) - fits flush into my sd card slot, has (supposedly) impressive read write speed, costs $79.99 from amazon for 128GB

IyWImfVl.jpg

I will update here accordingly on how it performs
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Mentor

I know it doesn't match your requirements of 256 GB, but i have one of these in my work provided MacBook Air with a 64Gb miniSD card in it.

http://eu.minidrive.bynifty.com

I keep a smallish back up collection on that card, so I can use my work computer as a back up if necessary. I haven't had to use it in a gig situation yet, but all the testing i've done with it appears to work fine.

The main advantage of the nifty mini drive is that it doesn't stick out, so can stay in your machine all the time.

There's also this product from Transcend, that's available as a 128Gb drive.

http://uk.transcend-info.com/apple/jetdrivelite/

EDIT - Posted this without seeing your post above. ....i'm pretty sure that will work fine.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

thanks for the reply!

yes i decided to get it (like a few minutes ago) so i dont have any extra wires to carry, i did hear some scary stories about the card being "accidentally" ejected when you close the lid of the retina macbook pro (and apparently its almost impossible to remove the card - by design) but i guess i would have to find out for myself

when it arrives from amazon im gonna move my itunes library into the sdcard (my itunes library after careful sorting has been reduced to about 100GB only) and test how it works with traktor and see if theres any lag or even crash while using the device - a little bit worried as i dont think many people are doing this now, nor that traktor was designed to work this way but im willing to find out haha!

i went to a local shop to buy/see a thunderbolt external hard drive and they are all seem so expensive and the thought of another cable hanging off my mac is not too good (with the X1 and Audio6 already in)
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Mentor

I've had no ejecting problems with the nifty mini drive & a 13" MacBook Air. The only time the drive "unmounts" without any intervention from me is if battery power gets down to approx 12%.

So stay above that, & you'll be fine. (presumably not an issue on a gig, as you'll be hooked up to mains power). Although it might be worth doing some homework to see if the SD card slot is on the same USB bus as the USB sockets? .....drawing too much current from them could possibly create problems?

I need to double check my back up rig again now, & see if it's stable. I presume i'll be fine, as my controller (VCI 380) isn't bus powered.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    A HDD isn't more likely to disconnect than an SSD...
    Was referring to physically disconnecting...as in the wire getting pulled out. Some places I play are tight and people always lean over my rig. I will start taping it if it ever happens though

It also would low me to ditch my usb hub since I only have it for the external drive and an F1

Given that, a USB3 external drive has been fine for me performance wise, although I don't run my whole set off of it. Most of my tracks are on the internal SSD.
    Last edited by TonyRome; 10-13-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    Was referring to physically disconnecting...as in the wire getting pulled out. Some places I play are tight and people always lean over my rig. I will start taping it if it ever happens though

It also would low me to ditch my usb hub since I only have it for the external drive and an F1

Given that, a USB3 external drive has been fine for me performance wise, although I don't run my whole set off of it. Most of my tracks are on the internal SSD.
    Yes but OP is talking about external storage. Not internal.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast