Importing beatgrids and cue points into Serato

Default Importing beatgrids and cue points into Serato

Has anyone come up with a way to import beatgrids and cue points from anything into Serato yet? As far as I can tell the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway, as there is lots of out of date information out there.

I had a bad software crash in the middle of a set over the weekend (was routing audio from Cross via Ableton using Jack, worked great in testing, disaster in live enviromnent, not doing that again...) used Serato with m3u playlists loaded as a backup, and muddled through without beatgrids or cue points. I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Tech Mentor

Serato saves the beatgrids and stuff to the files themselves as far as I know.

If you move/copy your files through the serato 'files' menu, instead of thru explorer/finder; then it gives you the option of keeping or skipping the Tags/cues/grids. It'll even recreate your crates on the new serato. This is actually a bugger; if you're trading music.

To get grids/cues from traktor... good luck with that. As far as I know, you might as well throw pennies in a well for a wish.
    Nickels, I guess; Canada doesn't have pennies anymore...

I was hoping someone had found a route from Rekordbox or something like that. Oh well, I'll give up on that then...

Tech Convert

You are probably inquiring on the Rekord Buddy method.

As of now things are ONE way. As in You can take your Serato library and get all your cue points, beat grids, loops, etc. as well as crates & subcrates all the way from Serato to Rekordbox using Traktor as the "middle man". This is done via two different apps.

Serato -----> Traktor (using N.I. SSL Database Importer)
    Traktor -----> Rekordbox (using Rekord Buddy App)

Side note: This is ONLY possible on Mac.

Keep your eyes on the Rekord Buddy website as Damien is working on an app that will basically tie the three main professional DJ apps (Traktor, Serato & Rekordbox) together being able to import/export between the three. Again this will ONLY be for Mac but he is saying that later on down the road he MAY get an Windows version rolled out.

I think its a bit messed up. Some stuff gets written to files it seems and some to an XML file the app uses. Years ago I help a mate move loads of files by editing this XML for him so I am sure there must be something else out there to do this. Maybe look at what Mixxx does when importing files opened by Serato??

Tech Convert

Wink

This RekordBuddy 2.0 thing seems to hold the greatest promise for moving cues points between softwares but it seems much delayed in being released. Don’t understand why this is so difficult. I don’t think something like Serato writes Cue Point data in an encrypted form into the MP3 files.

Take VirtualDJ >> Serato for example. VirtualDJ has all of the cue point data clearly written in plain text in its XML database file. For a given track, why does it seem difficult for a utility to read the XML data and write equivalent (Serato compatible) data into the MP3 file of the same name? Mixed-In-Key for example knows how to write Serato cue point data into MP3s. Going the other way seems should be equally as easy.

Can anyone enlighten me??

Thx

Tech Convert

Talking

The RekordBuddy 2.0 thing seems to hold the greatest promise for moving cues points between softwares but it seems much delayed in being released. Don’t understand why this is so difficult. I don’t think something like Serato writes Cue Point data in an encrypted form into the MP3 files.

Take VirtualDJ >> Serato for example. VirtualDJ has all of the cue point data clearly written in plain text in its XML database file. For a given track, why does it seem difficult for a utility to read the XML data and write equivalent (Serato compatible) data into the MP3 file of the same name? Mixed-In-Key for example knows how to write Serato cue point data into MP3s. Going the other way seems should be equally as easy.

Thx