P.A School (General Advice). - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JuanSOLO View Post
    A lot of people will say, less than subs' (under 18"), are suitable.
    Maybe it's personal preference, but I cant stand the sound and lack of feel, with subs that dont go low low.
    I doubt you are getting or hearing "low low."

I am betting that if you got an RTA and put a measurement mic on it, that most of what you like in the 18" loaded subs will be the higher order harmonics causing a "rumble" in the sound. The content you are hearing is prominent in the 80-100Hz and 160-200Hz bands.

There is VERY little difference in extension between an 18" and a 15" sub. The driver displacement to cabinet ratio tends to be more favorable for low end extension in a 15" cabinet than a 18" cabinet. The 18" woofers are rarely placed in a cabinet that is large enough to take advantage of the Fs of the woofer.

I use folded horn subs, which avoid the harmonic problem entirely. The folds act as a low pass filter and remove everything that is not "sub" content. The sound is VERY different, but once you go folded horn...you can't go back. All I hear with direct radiating subs is mid-bass mud.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

@DJSB, I don't doubt turbosound monitors sounded great. Turbosound, Funktion One & Meyer setups are much higher end systems than anything mentioned so far and they're almost always permanent install stuff and not, usually, part of a portable setup.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    @DJSB, I don't doubt turbosound monitors sounded great. Turbosound, Funktion One & Meyer setups are much higher end systems than anything mentioned so far and they're almost always permanent install stuff and not, usually, part of a portable setup.
    I thought the same but this doesn't seem too off the mark of QSCs (not sure if these were the monitors I was using or not):
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FZJgfgodfQoAgQ

Tech Mentor

When I'm working my needs are not dissimilar to those outlined at the start of the thread, a system I've been looking at is the FBT vertus, not cheap but I like its portability and concept. In particular I like the way you can turn the mids/tweeters into the dance floor whilst the sub still belt straight out.

Has anyone used this pa?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    I thought the same but this doesn't seem too off the mark of QSCs (not sure if these were the monitors I was using or not):
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FZJgfgodfQoAgQ
    I'd be very interested in listening to a set from that line.

I've been saying for years that if Funktion-One ever made a bed/living-room setup, I'd at least try to afford it. It couldn't cost more than Genelecs, right?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'd be very interested in listening to a set from that line.

I've been saying for years that if Funktion-One ever made a bed/living-room setup, I'd at least try to afford it. It couldn't cost more than Genelecs, right?
    Me too. I have made a spec/comparison between the 2 x QSC K12 + 2 x QSC KW181 and 2 x Milan M15 + 2 x Milan M18B and there's a good £400 difference which is a big deal within my budget.

I've been kinda sold on the QSC setup but for way less I can get 15" tops rather than 12" (QSC) and use the saving for an outboard mixer plus other extras.

I've read some good reviews on the new Milan range - but I've also read some that claim they fall apart when really pushed which is not a criticism I have ever read about the QSC range.

Wow the size difference between the Milan 15 and the K12 is way more than I thought it would be.

I can save even more by choosing the Milan 12's.

Are the QSC's really that much better?

Anyone got an opinion on this ???

Just joining the talk here.

Recently heard both the QSC systems and JBL PRX700 series in a couple environments and the JBL PRX700 is just as good as the QSC's at a lower price.

Two JBL PRX712's and a PRX718XLF is gonna be great for you to start at a better price than the QSC's.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Great to see that you have narrowed it down to 2, now you really need to listen to both setups with the same music, at the volumes that you would use at a gig.

Where I work (Melbourne, AU) we have a demo room setup with all of the speakers we sell and since it is an old rehearsal/recording room we can play it as loud as we need to. We have about 40 speakers that we can switch between live while the customers CD or media source is playing. I'm sure there's somewhere like that over where you are?

It's then up to you if there's £400 difference in the quality or ability of the speakers for your music and type of function. From this point onwards none of our opinions matter, it comes down to what you hear.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Oh for gods sake the forum isn't letting me edit my last post again. aarrrgh

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast