Making an Itunes playlist a seperate folder on my macbook
    Tech Convert

Default Making an Itunes playlist a seperate folder on my macbook

Have spent an hour trawling through the numerous threads on itunes music organisation but can't seem to find the answer... so don't shoot me!!....

I use an external hard drive on which I store my entire itunes music collection and then I have one itunes 'dj playlist' which I use as a base for djing in traktor and store locally on my mac's internal drive.

My current system is dragging and dropping the track from the colllection into my 'dj folder' on my mac and then dragging it once more from the folder into itunes then add it to my 'dj playlist'.

This method seems to be quite fiddly and cumbersome and leads to having duplicates. The same track appears twice, once from the external and once from the internal.

Is there a way around this? Is there any other possible way that when I drag a tune into my 'dj playlist' in itunes it copies or (even better) moves to the 'dj folder' on my internal hard drive?

If anyone can help me with this it would be much appreciated. Generally I like itunes but sometimes I find it's functionality a bit too inflexible... or hopefully I'm just being a bit slow and there's a really easy solution that I've missed somewhere in the forum...

Cheers

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

you dont need to have a locally stored folder.
    Just have a Traktor Playlist and load it with tracks from the Traktor Collection.
    This wont duplicate tracks as Traktor doesnt actually move any tracks it just uses the paths to the music on the Hard Drive.

iTunes can be a great way yo organise music. You can also use the iTunes Node in the Traktor Browser. You can drag tracks to Traktor playlist from there with out the need to have another folder on the internal drive .

Karlos

Tech Convert

thanks Karlos...

but I do want to have a locally stored folder as I don't want to take my external hard drive with me to bars/clubs... (also I've just got the black macbook so there's only 2 usb's and a firewire... which i use for a midi controller, midi keyboard and a soundcard..).

i always organise my playlists in itunes and always import them through traktor...and you're right... it works well..but it's how i move the music from the external hard drive to the internal one and still be able to organise it within itunes which is causing me the headache...

it really doesn't seem like i'm doing it the easiest way!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ah right get ya. Yeah your gonna get duplicates doing that.
    But the duplicates wont be accessible unless the external drive is connected. Still it would bug me to.

You could have 2 separate iTunes librarys and load one up at a time but even then that doesnt help Traktor.

There has to be a smarter way of doing this Hmmm ????

I listen to most of my music on my Mac in my studio... and this is also where i organize all my music as well. I keep all my music on an external drive. What i have to do is take the XML library file in the iTunes folder from the Mac in my studio and put it in the iTunes folder on my Macbook Pro that i use for playing Traktor. I do this all the time and have just got used to doing this. I don't know if there is an easier way, but its not really an issue for me. I did mess up doing this once, but now i take precautions to prevent any screw ups...