Moving from Traktor to CDJ - what is the CDJ equivalent of the Kontrol F1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moving from Traktor to CDJ - what is the CDJ equivalent of the Kontrol F1

I have been learning Traktor using an S2 and a Kontrol F1 and have a good grasp of both of these.

Now I want to branch out to use CDJ (I will probably maintain the Traktor skills but want to be flexible to do my gig on either) kit.

I love using my Kontrol F1 to push out samples at the touch of a button/pad (spoken words, noises, special effects) and get cool sounds looping (drums or sounds) over the other decks (A&B).

What is the equivalent in the CDJ world?

I would love to build my current Traktor set on the CDJ ... but I have some cool sounds and loops that I would like to throw into the mix on the CDJ (like the Remix Decks) but they are only used in the mix for a few seconds (so not worth getting another CDJ just for this) but don't know how to (my only idea is to have my laptop nearby running Traktor and use it as an input to the mixer - but this seems clumsy and I want to do away with the laptop and move to CDJ and USB. I know that you can use the HiD to connect Traktor but I would like to be able to do a gig JUST using CDJ and DJM.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Traktor but my local club has CDJ2000Nexus decks and DJM900Nexus Mixer so I want to make things easy for myself and just take a USB to the gig.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Christopher

Tech Guru

Uhhh... I don't think there is a CDJ equivalent of an F1. I guess maybe an Akai MPC? MPC are pretty pricey though.

If you're only looping, you don't have to get a top of the line CDJ, you could just get a CDJ350/400.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

There are a few samplers out there that don't need a laptop, but they are quite expensive.
    You can make it easy for yourself by bringing your laptop and hooking up the CDJ's with Traktor in HID mode. That way you don't need to reroute any cables, need an extra soundcard or use control cd's.

Tech Guru

Emm...youre totally over looking the fact you can use CDJs either with timecode (if you have TSP) or in HID if only TP. also the DJM900 works as an audio interface for traktor...

so what I'm saying is you can still use traktor
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I've thought about using an MPC1000 for that. Finding one used in good shape might be an issue.

If they're not tempo-sync'd loops, an MPX16 will work....'bout the same price as an F1 as well.

Tech Mentor

Exactly as mentioned...just use Traktor with HID mode...
    Or, bring a sampler.
    Outside what was mentioned...
    The new Korg Electribe sampler runs around $400USD and has some good live performance capability.

Or a Boss SP-202...

I had a ton of fun with mine before I sold it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

the RMX 1000 could be worth a look - it's more of an FX unit but there's a nice little way to fire off samples you can have on an sd card in there and effect them.

It's a very different way to how an F1/Traktor works and tbh you might find it quite limiting but I really love using mine.

You'd need to be putting it ideally through a mixer that has a send/return. It can work on a master out but you get a lot more control with it effecting a channel you're selecting.

The nice thing about them once you've got into using it is, you can use that same fx setup on whatever you're djing with, be it modern cdjs, older ones or vinyl
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    The new Korg Electribe sampler runs around $400USD and has some good live performance capability.
    And is not gonna be available for a couple of month
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

plus - should also have mentioned, it's easy to grab 'samples' quickly on the fly, roll them fast or slow using the xpad, and raise/lower their pitch ( but you don't hold onto those samples - once you grab another you've lost the previous), and put that all through the considerably high quality fx section

they're pricey new but 2nd hand you can usually get a good deal
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast