[Progressive House] Need some honest opinions please
    Tech Mentor

Default Need some honest opinions please

Hey guys,

so i've been working pretty hard off late and i think I'm slowly moving out from the amateur phase to like a semi pro..but obviously that's only my opinion and i may be wrong.

It would be great if you could spare some time & give this song a listen, to provide some constructive criticism on my mix down..lemme know how bad or how good it is and where!

it may be a little soft since it isn't mastered yet (in the process of learning that still)

Thanks

I'll have a listen & let you know later mate (at work now). I've been trying to get people's thoughts on here too and it's not easy as I thought it would be!
    SC - WS

Tech Mentor

Haha no worries. Link me to your work too I'll try and give you some suggestions, though I'm not too sure if they'll be for the good..

I'm not a progressive/trance guy, so maybe this is how it's typically done in those genres, but the hats are way too quiet for me. There's nothing driving the beat forward because they're so far "back in the mix." Also, seems a bit "lifeless" to me, so I think an EQ on the 2 bus, upping the 2 - 8 kHz range maybe 1/2 dbs but wide may open it up and brighten it up a bit.

At least that's my amateur thoughts on it.

But I did like it musically, and overall the mix sounded clean in between people microwaving their food and getting ice for their drinks at lunchtime since I sit right next to the kitchen area at work.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

I liked it. I'd agree with INDY that it could do with a bit more in the beat; you can hear the hats in the background but I think I'd like it more if they were louder. Thought the breakdown was good and I liked the high range synth at around 3.30. Also I don't know whether it's a bit short? I might be tempted to make the 2nd half a minute longer or so but that's personal preference I suppose.
    SC - WS

Tech Mentor

Hey guys, thanks for giving it a listen!

@indy i guess its my poor room acoustics :/ i have blankets hung..going to treat my room with proper treatment soon.

@dave haha yeah i love that synth too. and yes infact i got so frustrated with it that i gave up and ended the track, though even feel it should have been longer. :P

Thanks