Propellerhead Reason
    Tech Convert

Default Propellerhead Reason

Hello all,

i would like to know pros and cons regarding Reason in relation to Techno music production. I do not have any experience with Ableton or Pro Tools ,so i would like to know which would be more suitable for Techno. I really like the analog sounds in Reason but if there something better out there i do not want to miss it.

Also mixing in reason seems really complicated ,im still working on studying it but if anyone could advice me on that area,much appreciated.

Cheers

If you have no experience, it really doesn't matter which software you choose.

Personally, I use Ableton Live, but I know that Reason does have a lot of nice sounding instruments. But so does Ableton Live.

Really, it just depends on which one you think you'll pick up the easiest... Learning any software is not straight forward, so, if you take some time familiarising yourself with the interface of each, then you can make a decision on which to go for.

You should watch LOTS of youtube videos on each piece of software, then make your decision.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I've used Reason to make techno and it's completely capable. You've got everything you need, from synths to drum machines, automation, and with the SSL style mixer, a decent mixer (finally). The one thing that you should be aware of is that it uses a propietary plug in format called rack extensions which is not compatible with any other DAW. There are a lot of rack extensions at this point but newer instruments often come to standard formats like AU or VST before they are made into rack extensions. I eventually migrated to Logic Pro because I started doing a lot more with audio files and I personally like the Logic audio editor better.

The other thing about Reason that people either love or hate is the routing (aka virtual cables). Unlike something like Logic where all the routing is done through the mixer, in Reason you can literally patch anything into anything else. It lends itself to experimentation but it can be a little hard to see whats going on once you get a big mess of cables going on in the back.

It's all preference. I've used Reason before...it wasn't for me.

Reason is probably the weirdest interface, what with the virtual cables and everything....but it's kind of cool and gives some modulation options that are at least more awkward to figure out in other things. I also think it has the best metering without opening plugin windows as long as you set it properly.

The reasons I don't use Reason anymore are mostly that I wasn't a huge fan of the sequencer and it's somewhat awkward use of space. I think it works best if you can build a workstation around how you end up using it....but a lot of people just use it. My personal preference is for Maschine for anything groove/loop based and Pro Tools for recording and mixing, but my preference shouldn't really influence yours.

Use whatever blows your hair back and learn it really well.

Tech Mentor

REWIRE reason to ableton, best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by Similian View Post
    REWIRE reason to ableton, best of both worlds!
    Vouch