Starting DJ questions
    Tech Convert

Default Starting DJ questions

Hello everyone,

After years enjoying edm music, and producing stuff, I want to start DJing for fun and maybe play for friends or in clubs. My question is this : For a budget of 1000$, what you guys think would be best to invest to start DJ ? and the big question for me, DJ using Ableton, or DJ software like serato or Traktor ?

I've never used dj controllers so I don't have any preferences over DJ softwares or Ableton. It's just a big dilemma because I've seen guys making incredible stuff with Ableton, and of course Deadmau5 using Ableton is part of my Pros too.

What is the best setup to enjoy playing as a stardard DJ like CDJ, but being able to be creative, getting a bit in the remixes sometimes if the occasion occurs ?

Here's my reseach : I'm looking right now for the DDJ-SX. But recently discoverd NI products like the X1 and F1, or Akai Push to work with Ableton... I'm kind of confused with all the possibilites, and due to the fact that I've never touch any of this.

Hope you guys can help me with this !

Thanks
    Max

Tech Guru

Ableton and Traktor are two very different work flows. Ableton is what I'd use if you are going to take a more production approach. Otherwise, go with Traktor.

DDJ-SX and modular like X1 and F1 are all very good.

My suggestion is buy USED. As long as it's been treated well, it'll work just fine, but you'll save a large amount of money.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Like SlvrDragon said modular is the way to go I recently got an all in one controller with jog wheel and I refuse to part with my X1-MK2 or my F1 and my 2 channel mixer. Its a tight set up I wish I had a Z1 mixer to go with that setup then I would have been golden and of course I use Traktor
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    Like SlvrDragon said modular is the way to go I recently got an all in one controller with jog wheel and I refuse to part with my X1-MK2 or my F1 and my 2 channel mixer. Its a tight set up I wish I had a Z1 mixer to go with that setup then I would have been golden and of course I use Traktor
    You mix completely with Modular like the X1 and F1 ? Or you add it to your all in one controller ?

Tech Mentor

get a NI s2 or s4. They come with a full version of traktor and work out of the box with the software.
    get good headphones.
    still got money left? upgrade your RAM.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Convert

Okay now I know that I want to use Traktor. Maybe some days I will use Ableton for more prepared mix, but I understand that if want to mix and have fun on the fly, traktor is the way to go.

But still, why NI S4 over DDJ-SX, or over Modulars ? I can have any of them, and used so at a farly price. The price diffrence between the S4 and the DDj-SX doesn't bug me, so it's a question of, which one is the best ? Or the jogwheel is this necessary nowadays ? So I should go with modulars ?

Tech Guru

I would go modular with a platter based controller or an X1 MK2.

I don't like the mixer on the S4/S2. No clue why, it just feels really bad. I'd personally skip on the S2 altogether because it doesn't have channel filters.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I would go modular with a platter based controller or an X1 MK2.

I don't like the mixer on the S4/S2. No clue why, it just feels really bad. I'd personally skip on the S2 altogether because it doesn't have channel filters.
    Just to be sure, what do you mean by platter based controller ? You mean a simple usb DJ controller ? like a DDj-SX ?