Price Difference b/t Serato & Traktor....why? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blatterjr View Post
    I don't know much about Rane, but is it possible they're paying a licensing fee on the sound card
    This.

NI can charge less because it's their hardware & software.
    No licensing fees to pay to anyone.
    Rane has to share the wealth, so to speak.
    Hence, they choose to charge more.
    There is also an argument to be made for the construction of
    Rane's card's housing versus the NI's. Those Rane enclosures are
    Top notch!
    A&H Xone:96, (2) X Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2, Bozure ISO-201, (2) X Technics MK5, "TEIL1" (Delay Pedal), Strymon "Blue Sky" (Reverb Pedal), Ableton Push 2, A&H Xone:K2, (2) X Shure M44-7 w' Ortofon SH-4 Headshells, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Crates & Crates of Vinyl, 2011 & 2012 Macbook Pros - (2) X SSD/16GB RAM for both machines |
    https://soundcloud.com/risquedj

IDK....the NI cards come with software too. I'm not sure why it would be that different.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    IDK....the NI cards come with software too. I'm not sure why it would be that different.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't NI develop their software in-house? A Rane licensing fee would be on top of any other development and manufacturing costs. I'm speculating, of course.
    ---------------------------
    Greybeard Turntablist
    Z2 / 1200's / X1 MK2 / F1 / Maschine MK2

Because Rane doesn't develop ScratchLIVE or SeratoDJ......Serato does.
    Rane pays Serato.......N.I. pay themselves
    A&H Xone:96, (2) X Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2, Bozure ISO-201, (2) X Technics MK5, "TEIL1" (Delay Pedal), Strymon "Blue Sky" (Reverb Pedal), Ableton Push 2, A&H Xone:K2, (2) X Shure M44-7 w' Ortofon SH-4 Headshells, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Crates & Crates of Vinyl, 2011 & 2012 Macbook Pros - (2) X SSD/16GB RAM for both machines |
    https://soundcloud.com/risquedj

Seriously, though.....factor of 2.

I think it's almost time for me to try TSP. I realized I haven't used NI DVS since FS2.

I need a bigger table to fit my turntables first, though.

Seriously, though.....factor of 2.
    Wouldn't surprise me. They don't have significant throughput.
    Greybeard Turntablist

You are simply buying the name. As NI becomes more industry standard, either their price will go up or Rane's will go down. As far as build quality, they are on par with each other. This goes for sound quality as well. The SL box does have better power management which leads to cooler running circuits thus leading to better sound definition over extended use. As far as licensing goes, it is not enough of a difference to justify the heavy increase in price.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    As far as licensing goes, it is not enough of a difference to justify the heavy increase in price.
    As an example, JABIL licenses (and manufactures) components to Apple at more than 25x production + R&D. In that way, it's not about justification as much as opportunity and access.
    Greybeard Turntablist

Apple is also willing to pay it. It wouldnt be the first financial idiocracy the company has endured in it's lifespan.

This is true tho. I just don't see Serato asking for that much in licensing. If they were that greedy, it would seem that they would make consumers pay for the software when not using it with direct compatible devices such as the mixdeck and charging more for the DVS expansion for users who do not purchase SL.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    Apple is also willing to pay it. It wouldnt be the first financial idiocracy the company has endured in it's lifespan.

This is true tho. I just don't see Serato asking for that much in licensing. If they were that greedy, it would seem that they would make consumers pay for the software when not using it with direct compatible devices such as the mixdeck and charging more for the DVS expansion for users who do not purchase SL.
    We may be on different pages... I think they have the sound cards manufactured for them and pay a licensing fee on the hardware. I'd be surprised if they didn't have software in-house or under an LLC.
    Greybeard Turntablist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast