Price Difference b/t Serato & Traktor....why?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Price Difference b/t Serato & Traktor....why?

I do NOT want to start a Traktor vs. Serato war. I hereby give the mods an eplicit request to delete any such posts and close this thread if it goes too far.

I'll also try to stave that off by saying that I own both brands (TP2, X1s, a DDJ-SX, and an SL1)...I've owned them more than once each and for quite a long time. There are aspects of using each that I prefer over the other. I honestly don't think I have a real preference overall for one or the other except to say that I slightly prefer Traktor without platters and Serato for DVS.

The prices just don't make sense to me.

TA6 - $300 for 3 decks
    TA10-$500 for 4 decks + a loop + midi IO
    SL2 - $500 for 2 decks
    SL3 - $700 for 3 decks
    SL4 - $900 for 4 decks + a loop

Why is the most expensive thing NI makes the same price as the cheapest thing Rane makes? I'm not really concerned with used prices....I'll still decide what's best for me based on what I want to do and what I want to spend. I'm just curious about WHY the new units are priced like that.

Does anyone know?

The only thing I can think of is claims of better DACs in the Rane units, but with the popularity of Pioneer mixers....I feel like....if they really cared about sound quality, they'd have digital outputs to avoid a pair of conversions. Or maybe claims that SDJ is enough lighter-weight than TSP that it can try to claim to be more stable or something....?

Tech Convert

I have MY reasons but they would in turn be debating the exact thing you are trying to avoid. I do use both (as well as Rekordbox) so if anything I can say I am not biased.

To add to your question you would think with N.I. being the software developer/hardware manufacturer they would be able to charge more. Let's add to this by stating a fact that Serato offers like five times the amount of hardware that Traktor does.................

My guess is This is how Traktor competes. VDJ does it by basically supporting anything on the planet hardware-wise as well as offering free versions. N.I. IMO competes by offering their version of the hardware at about half the price.

I tried to keep my opinions separate and kept things as factual as possible..........

Seriously....nobody?

Tech Mentor

Maybe it's the same reason why perfume is so expensive. People expect that cheap products are crap. They tried a discount brand once, it didn't work. Maybe if people see that Serato soundcards are more expensive they'll think it's better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by deejdave View Post
    I have MY reasons but they would in turn be debating the exact thing you are trying to avoid.
    I'm actually curious what you mean by that. If you use them and aren't just blindly saying "because they're better", you might have a point. I'm really seriously trying to figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    Maybe it's the same reason why perfume is so expensive. People expect that cheap products are crap. They tried a discount brand once, it didn't work. Maybe if people see that Serato soundcards are more expensive they'll think it's better quality.
    The "Price is the product" model seems to apply to liquor more than perfume (Grey Goose is objectively shit vodka, for example). But, I used the same $75 bottle of cologne for like 8 years, so I don't think of that as expensive.

Could that really be it? 'cuz Rane makes some damn-good gear at relatively competitive prices, well....at least the things that don't have SSL soundcards. The mp-2016s, mp25, and mp26 are damn-good mixers for $1500-1800. The Empath was awesome for the money back when they still made it.

Tech Convert

Well there are a few considerations to be made as well. With Traktor Pro you purchase the license which is applied to the software. With Serato the license is built INTO the sound card thus the license is internally embedded. This means a license fee is included with the sale of the SL box while the license is NOT necessarily included with the TSP Box.

The personal opinions I have are as stated personal and NOT what I think you were looking for yet DO apply and matter. Furthermore I feel they directly add to the reason/s for the higher cost. As a disclaimer I try to NOT blindly state anything ever. I primarily use Serato BUT have used Rekordbox often and Traktor even more often. Furthermore I have a unique library including an 85K+ file library which is 100% synced between Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox via N.I. SSL Database Importer tool (SDJ>Traktor) and Rekord Buddy (Traktor>Rekordbox) including all cue points, loops, Keys, beat grids etc. as well as all crates & subcrates (playlists & folders). This lets me have a very "open" and unbiased assessment of all three professional DJ apps.

I have & use TONS of gear and try to assess fairly. https://www.dropbox.com/s/oowf8dyp7b..._0231.JPG?dl=0 Numark NS7II, Akai AMX, Rane 64, Urei 1620 LE, Rane SL4 Traktor Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1 & N.I. Audio 6 & more NOT pictured as this was just a picture of my Pioneer family LOL.

Tech Guru

The only reason I can think of is in the sl4's case it has 2x usb inputs which I guess means it is two soundcards under one enclosure. But yeah, even then its really expensive. If traktor made a dual usb sound card I would be all over it change overs and back to back sets especially with a 2 channel mixer are really annoying.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    The only reason I can think of is in the sl4's case it has 2x usb inputs which I guess means it is two soundcards under one enclosure. But yeah, even then its really expensive. If traktor made a dual usb sound card I would be all over it change overs and back to back sets especially with a 2 channel mixer are really annoying.
    You will note the SL4 and Audio 10 have the EXACT amount of inputs & outputs. The Audio10 keeps things side by side in/out while the SL4 keeps all inputs on one side with the outputs on the other is all.

Yeah, the 2 USBs are awesome. Since Vestax was the only company that routinely put enough Line inputs on mixers and most current ones require some invasive mods to disable the phono preamps, it's a bit of an issue.

That is probably worth paying for if you're doing an install or willing to let everyone for a night use your box. A double-USB TS card and a mixer with 2 line pairs per channel would be good.

As far as I'm concerned, that explains the SL4 and the 68. The rest of the line?

I don't know much about Rane, but is it possible they're paying a licensing fee on the sound card or some other aspect of the design?
    ---------------------------
    Greybeard Turntablist
    Z2 / 1200's / X1 MK2 / F1 / Maschine MK2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast