Are Pioneer CDJ 1000's (mk2 or 3) still relevant? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by elseanjuan View Post
    semi off topic, but i'm using the 800 mk2's with timecode and an djm850. i gig at least once a week. i used to use an all in one S4, but it scared me knowing if my mixer died, i was screwed. or if my computer died i was screwed.

with my current setup, if my computer dies, i've got cd's, if one of my cd's dies, i can run off one deck mapped properly, if my mixer dies, i plug one cd player or ipod directly into the speaker.

i'm a mobile DJ mostly, and i need backup for my backup. depends what you're doing, and what you're comfortable. i need options, because clients are paying top dollar, and demand music.

just a thought
    with the price difference between your and my setup i could buy another setup+laptop just for backup. just a thought.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Yeah....that's one thing to consider at least with modern cdjs. Depending on how intense your setup has to be to perform, you could easily build a 2-deck backup system with a laptop for roughly the cost of a cdj2000nxs.

Idk....if you really want the experience of DJing on cdjs, you could do worse than 1000s and DVS. And we all burned a lot of CDs back in the day.

I just wouldn't want to. And I'm not convinced that you'd ever get your money back out of them. And if I'm going to go for the complexity of a DVS setup, I'd rather feel wax under my hands.

After owning CDJ1000 mk3s for a year and 2000 Nexus for 2 years and still using 1000s every weekend my opinion is save a little more cash and buy some 850s or 900 mk1s mate. The jog wheels work similar and you will have modern technology over the 1000s. I now hate burning CDs but i've been doing it for years so it's second nature to me now, but people going into it now after being digital it might drive them mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Liambo View Post
    I now hate burning CDs but i've been doing it for years so it's second nature to me now, but people going into it now after being digital it might drive them mad.
    That feeling when you think of a perfect track to on next on deck B only to realise it is on the same CD that's playing in deck A.....

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    That feeling when you think of a perfect track to on next on deck B only to realise it is on the same CD that's playing in deck A.....
    Story of my life every Friday and Saturday.. Either that or not actually being able to find the CD....

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    That's why I used to burn 3 of everything.

It got old fast.

Tech Wizard

feel like used cdj900nxs or xdj1000s are the no brainer here.

The XDJ1000s are literally the closest thing to a 2000 in terms of raw functionality, and the -only- thing I really miss when using mine, is the tension adjust, which I got used to pretty quickly. I like a pretty stiff tension on my jog wheel, and the xdj1000 is about 15-20% "looser" than what I set 2000s to when I play on them, but it's such a minor thing that it is -so- not worth the extra cash. The bigger screen and beatjump is also a plus, as are the faster loads and fast search functionality.

Bringing this back up because I too have been thinking of this lately for the simple reason of becoming familiar/ comfortable with CDjs whether it be with traktor and DVS or CDs (I don't mind burning them). It has come to a point that the gigs I show up to play don't have turntables which I prefer. As far as 900nsx or xdj1000 being a "no brained" I can get 2 cdj1000 mk3s for just about half the price as one of the "no brainers". And price is my biggest factor of thinking this way. I almost exclusively mix drum and bass in the more traditional 2 channel manner with minimal exf and no looping. I do have a kontrol s2 that I use on occasion when tables aren't available but it would be nice to be able to use the CDj a that are already there. Additional thoughts and opinions would be great. MANY THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Logical Impulse View Post
    Bringing this back up because I too have been thinking of this lately for the simple reason of becoming familiar/ comfortable with CDjs whether it be with traktor and DVS or CDs (I don't mind burning them). It has come to a point that the gigs I show up to play don't have turntables which I prefer. As far as 900nsx or xdj1000 being a "no brained" I can get 2 cdj1000 mk3s for just about half the price as one of the "no brainers". And price is my biggest factor of thinking this way. I almost exclusively mix drum and bass in the more traditional 2 channel manner with minimal exf and no looping. I do have a kontrol s2 that I use on occasion when tables aren't available but it would be nice to be able to use the CDj a that are already there. Additional thoughts and opinions would be great. MANY THANKS!
    I started this topic 2 years ago, and as you can see by my signature I still have a set of MK3 1000's for home use. I am not a full time DJ by any means but do play out a few times a month and owning these hasn't had an effect on me performing on CDJ 2000, 900's XDJ's etc..! For home use I highly recommend them, they were the cream of the crop for many a year and for a good reason, they are still a better build quality compared to the 850's/900's and XDJ 1000 in my opinion but just lack the USB function that some people cant live without which is fair enough.

If you are willing to burn CD's or use them with DVS/Traktor (as I do) then go for it, just check that all buttons click, the jog wheels spin as they should and you are good to go. If you do go down the DVS route make sure you pick up an X1 it makes life so much easier :-)

Last bit of advice is still play around with the Rekordbox program for the newer players and have a couple of USB's full of your tunes as when you do play out you have all options covered.

Good luck.
    x2 Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3, NI Kontrol Z2, x2 Kontrol D2, Traktor 3, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air 2018

It still all depends on the $$$. Here a used pair of CDJ1000mk3 in good condition is around 500€.

"Becoming familiar/ comfortable with CDjs" used to mean learning to beatmatch etc - now the biggest part of becoming familiar is Rekordbox, navigating the tracks and filtering on the unit etc. CDJ1000's won't do you any good with that

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast