dsquareddan likes MIDI controllers, OK?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Cool dsquareddan likes MIDI controllers, OK?

It's been a long time until I got to this point for a home studio. I'll see if I can dig up some older pics of the setup thru the years.

I started on some shitty Numark cd players and a vestax mixer, moved to serato & CDJ's. then bought first gen CDJ2000's and a DJM800. ditched the computer for DJing. stuck with that for 3 or 4 years, got really good & successful. I've opened for many major headliners including: Savant, Mord Fustang, Zedd, Lazy Rich, Lucky Date, Sound Remedy, Cazzette, DallasK & Audien. As well I got to play a major festival in Western BC 2 years in a row called Motion Notion. 2 years ago, I began working in the top club in my city doing lighting & visuals. Had little knowledge of it going in, but 2 years later I can confidently say I'm really good at it. I've pretty much grown to love it more than DJing. I've stepped back from DJing mostly to focus on that, but now my plan is to start doing Audio/Visual/Lighting sets, where I'm in full control of all the lights in the club, creating the visuals on the LED screen and the music. Moving away from CDJ's to Ableton as I will have more control over everything at the same time and it will all be in perfect sync. I run VDMX for visuals and send DMX signal out to the lights in the club. Amazing program for OSX if you can figure it out. I send MIDI & OSC out Ableton into VDMX and vice versa so that when I go to do an audio effect, it will do something in tandem with the visuals/lights. I'm working on building up a new live set right now and hope to have it finished off by mid November so I'll post a more in depth video of how it all works once it's ready. But for now here's the most recent picture!

videos on post #10

2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15"
    Ableton Live 9 Suite
    VDMX
    Lacie Rugged 128gb SSD external thunderbolt drive
    Ableton Push
    Akai APC40 mk2
    MIDI Fighter 3D
    MIDI Fighter Twister
    Launchpad Mini

plugins in Ableton:
    XFer Serum
    XFer Nerve
    XFer LFOtool
    XFer Cthulhu
    AIR Music The Riser
    FabFilter ProQ2
    FabFilter Saturn
    Nicky Romero Kick
    SugarBytes WOW2
    iZotope Ozone 5

My next plan is to save for some proper studio monitors and get back into producing full time. I went to school for Audio Engineering 7 years ago, but put more of my effort into DJing than production. I know how to do it extensively and I know Ableton in & out, I just haven't spent much time making my own music. But now that I have push that will change!
    Last edited by dsquareddan; 11-27-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Windows didn't like my Midi Fighter 3D.
    ---------------------------
    Greybeard Turntablist
    Z2 / 1200's / X1 MK2 / F1 / Maschine MK2

Absolutely fucking awesome setup. love it. Would love to see a video.

Buttons, buttons everywhere!!!!!!!!!
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

Tech Wizard

Yup...a video...yup

You had me at the NES
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

B E A UTIFUL

Tech Mentor

I'm going to get a proper video this week. Just programmed a bunch of new mappings for controlling the lighting & visuals at the club I work at. Will take a walkthrough video once the madness of halloween is done. I have a few other pics & videos up on my instagram

http://instagram.com/dsquareddan

I like it! Dig the NES & Gamboy!!
    Kontrol X1MK2 <3

Tech Mentor

UPDATE: video time!

I got to perform last weekend something I have been working many months on. I did my first Ableton Live set, while mixing, & triggering visuals & lighting at the club all at the same time all in perfect sync to the music. All the lighting you see was programmed in to trigger along with each drum hit on the music and I made some custom visuals to go along with the music.

you can listen to the full set here:

some pictures:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast