First Post Question??
    Tech Wizard

Default First Post Question??

I am new to the forums and hope to catch up on things a bit. First of, I used to Dj back in the early 2000's at a few local spots in OC MD with a DJM 600 and 2 1200 MK2 turntables. I played mostly House and Break Beats with some hip hop. I see a lot has changed since then and I have recently purchased some new equipment but I need some straight forward advice on what Dj program I should purchase right now.

Here is my current setup.

2 Pioneer Cdj 900
    Pioneer DJM 850
    Pair of Pioneer S-DJ05 Studio Monitors

So what will work best for strictly Dj software? I want to be able to control the program from my Cdj so keep that in mind. Will I be better off with Serato or Traktor. Please don't talk over my head here as I am starting to understand the new way of doing things. I am not completely dumb but not as up to date as most of you.

Thanks!!!

Tech Mentor

Do you still play the same styles? If so, Serato with its elastic beat grids (which means the bpm can vary across the track) will suit you better than Traktor. Also take a look at Cross DJ. All 3 of these have what's called an HID mode where you can control the software and see all the info on the cdj screens. This also means there's no need for timecode cd's and an expensive certified soundcard. You simply use the soundcards you already have in your setup.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    Do you still play the same styles? If so, Serato with its elastic beat grids (which means the bpm can vary across the track) will suit you better than Traktor. Also take a look at Cross DJ. All 3 of these have what's called an HID mode where you can control the software and see all the info on the cdj screens. This also means there's no need for timecode cd's and an expensive certified soundcard. You simply use the soundcards you already have in your setup.
    Thanks for the response. Yes I still play the same styles. So in your opinion Serato is what I should purchase? I have never heard of Cross DJ, I will look into that.

Tech Mentor

If you use beatgrids and have lots of tracks with varying tempo, software with elastic beatgrids will be a better choice. Cross and Serato both have elastic beatgrids. Traktor doesn't, but you never know what will happen once the rumored version 3 will arrive.
    Traktor does have some edges on the others. The effects are better according to a lot of people and the amount of options you have is staggering. Especially in the mapping department.
    But you can't really go wrong with either 3 (I use all 3 of them :P).

Tech Wizard

Thank you for the advice and insight.

What can't you do with your CDJ-900s that you want to?

The biggest reason I use software is that it would take $8,000 worth of CDJs to replicate what I actually do with Traktor for $2000, including the laptop.
    Last edited by mostapha; 10-25-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    What can't you do with your CDJ-900s that you want to?

The biggest reason I use software is that it would take $8,000 worth of CDJs to replicate what I actually do with Traktor for $2000, including the laptop.
    Totally agree. I just was wondering about the dj software being this is all new to me. I come from the vinyl days lol. I just purchased serato so we wil see how I like it.