Do you feel respected?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do you feel respected?

Hey guys,

DJ Craze released a bossy routine yesterday, after which he made a post stating that he made it because he felt that DJing was not respected the way it should be. Deadmau5 has also recently been going on another one of his "DJing is super easy and requires no skill"rants.

My question for you; do you feel respected? Do you feel respected when you play? Does it depend on the venue? How do people react when they find out you DJ? And so on and so forth.

EDIT:
    Thanks for the responses guys, I think my initial post was a little vague. I'm not talking about personal respect (receiving respect as a person), I'm talking about respect for the art form. Over the last few months with SNL skit, Paris Hilton thing, the selfie guys "performing" on american idol, etc. the mainstream is beginning to see DJing as a little gimmicky. Craze, Shiftee, Endo, A-trak and tonnes of others have made responses because it bothers them that their art form is being treated as something trivial rather than being explored more deeply.

What I meant to ask was, on a local level, how do you guys think the people at your gigs feel about djing as an art form?
    Last edited by IznremiX; 10-29-2014 at 02:31 PM.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Who cares? Do what you do - only you know if you "deserve" respect.

Whether or not you get it is a different matter...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

People asking for respect is disrespectful...

Be professional, informed, articulate and show them your talent. The rest will sort itself out.
    ---------------------------
    Greybeard Turntablist
    Z2 / 1200's / X1 MK2 / F1 / Maschine MK2

Tech Mentor

You don't ask for respect, you deserve it by doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    Deadmau5 has also recently been going on another one of his "DJing is super easy and requires no skill"rants.
    That's because he's a worthless asshole with no respect for the scene, the music, the crowds, or anything else. The fact that any DJ buys and plays his music should have his equipment confiscated and his collection, whether digital or physical, burned.

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    My question for you; do you feel respected? Do you feel respected when you play? Does it depend on the venue? How do people react when they find out you DJ? And so on and so forth.
    Yes, yes, yes. And they mostly eithe ask what I'm into or start humming Sandstorm or occasionally say something about light switch raves if they're old enough to remember homestarrunner.

It was funny...at a party a while ago....somebody pulled that "why bother, anyone can be a DJ" thing. So, I stepped back and gave him the gracious "after you" hand gesture towards the setup.

He kind of just looked around at all of our equipment confused, scoffed, and walked back to the bar.

Tech Wizard

Before I became a DJ (full time) I was a keyboard player (full time) and was touring constantly. In bands, all of us musicians were respected - at least on our good nights.

As a DJ the feeling I get is more appreciation than respect. Guys will say "Great job man" to me, while saying "I could do the same damn thing" to themselves. Whether they could or not isn't the point. It just looks easy

Thanks for the responses guys, I think my initial post was a little vague. I'm not talking about personal respect (receiving respect as a person), I'm talking about respect for the art form. Over the last few months with SNL skit, Paris Hilton thing, the selfie guys "performing" on american idol, etc. the mainstream is beginning to see DJing as a little gimmicky. Craze, Shiftee, Endo, A-trak and tonnes of others have made responses because it bothers them that their art form is being treated as something trivial rather than being explored more deeply.

What I meant to ask was, on a local level, how do you guys think the people at your gigs feel about djing as an art form?

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by b ill View Post
    As a DJ the feeling I get is more appreciation than respect. Guys will say "Great job man" to me, while saying "I could do the same damn thing" to themselves. Whether they could or not isn't the point. It just looks easy
    I get this all the time. Like I'm just there to collect a paycheck. It's a bit discouraging. Can't really put my finger on it.

Depends on the venue... At local bars you get snubbed because someone thinks you suck because they're drunk and want to hear Garth Brooks and you don't have it.

At an actual club or an event that promotes house music I've gotten nothing but love.

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    I get this all the time. Like I'm just there to collect a paycheck. It's a bit discouraging. Can't really put my finger on it.
    I think that's a great way to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Depends on the venue... At local bars you get snubbed because someone thinks you suck because they're drunk and want to hear Garth Brooks and you don't have it.

At an actual club or an event that promotes house music I've gotten nothing but love.
    Same experience here dude. I used to think that there was no point in really trying play artistically at the "local bar" type of places you described because people were so uninterested in DJing. This changed when skratch bastid came to our city. Redbull had booked him at a bar which is notorious for being the most painful to dj in (terrible sound system, rude crowd, etc.). Overall, it was not a fun place to play at. I was expecting it to go piss poorly and he completed rocked the place. Everyone was taking videos of his turntablism and was overall very into it. I think with the right type of performance style and what not, you can definitely earn the respect of crowds that are typically uninterested. Albeit, it is very hard to do.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast