What's this style/genre?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's this style/genre?

Hey all,

During all my years as a DJ I've pretty played upbeat tracks, with the slowest being around 130bpm. However lately I've been more curious about incorporating some slow but powerful tracks. (Maybe because I'm getting older - can't keep up haha)

I heard a song in the movie John Wick (badass movie btw, go see it!) by Le Castle Vania that I really dug, unfortunately it's only about a minute:

I really dig the slowness, simplicity and power of this track, and I'd like to try and find more stuff like this. Can anyone tell me what kind of genre/style this is? Maybe some artists to check out?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. does this track remind anyone else of the Mr.Oizo song, Flat Beat?

That my friend is what I'd call electro house circa early 2000 genre labels

The artist would probably describe it as indie electro.

It sounds to me like an old electro house beat with what is now called dubstep bass.

Maybe some acid there reminds me of say

Tech Guru

It's electronic music, simply put, which most people call Electronica. There's not many artists who are totally dedicated to that style, especially that minimalistic, but you'll find most electronica artists have songs similar. Although that ~100 BPM dubstep sound has also recently been coined as "Glitch Hop", which can be simplistic like you posted yet is more often that not full of dub screams and growls.

If you want more like that, you need to be looking at early Justice stuff,

Gesaffelstein:

and generally other French Electronica artists, because they are massive on that pounding 100 bpm scene. You'll find they've been doing this for decades also, it's not a recent sound at all minus the NI Massive growls that they throw in.

Happy hunting!

EDIT: Just remembered another you might like at the drop @ 1:30:

Last edited by Sambo; 11-01-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    It's electronic music, simply put, which most people call Electronica. There's not many artists who are totally dedicated to that style, especially that minimalistic, but you'll find most electronica artists have songs similar. Although that ~100 BPM dubstep sound has also recently been coined as "Glitch Hop", which can be simplistic like you posted yet is more often that not full of dub screams and growls.

If you want more like that, you need to be looking at early Justice stuff,

Justice is rightly placed. The song OP posted is 120bpm. not midtempo in any way.

And your definition of glitch hop is way off lol, thats just sped up dubstep. Its whats been making me mad lately is how many people think that glitch hop is midtempo dubstep lol. Its not at all.

Proper Glitch Hop is like Opiuo, tipper, koan sound. Its glitched out funk.
    Last edited by AllDay; 11-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Tech Guru

You can see I described Glitch Hop in a sense that it's misappropriated, I'm fully aware that "true" Glitch Hop is from artists like Koan Sound. But in these days of the "Beatport Genre" problem, I'm simply pointing out where he is more likely to find something more along these lines.

If you look under Electronica, where this should be rightly placed, it's a lot of airy floaty pads and bleeps. The pounding Kraftwerk-in-an-80's-gay-disco style is literally impossible to dig for in this day and age without going onto a forum like this and asking "Moar songs lyk this plz", because Beatport/TrackitDown/Stomp etc. just don't cater for it.

You tend to find songs like this in mixes with glitch hop because of their similar tempos, usage of "wub wub" and the kick-snare-kick-snare drum lines.

I'm not here to change definitions, I'm just pointing Helo in the right direction without over complicating things.

Although looking back I don't know why I kept saying 100 BPM, brainfart from me there.

Also, back on topic, earlier Boys Noize and also his label (The imaginatively titled "Boys Noize Records") contains some fantastic pounding Kraftwerk-in-an-80's-gay-disco style artists (Like Shadow Dancer, although again earlier stuff, since they seem to have fallen on to the deep/chill house bandwagon as of late)
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Mentor

I used to call justice and all that style of music new rave, french electro, something like that, maybe some fidget elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    You can see I described Glitch Hop in a sense that it's misappropriated, I'm fully aware that "true" Glitch Hop is from artists like Koan Sound. But in these days of the "Beatport Genre" problem, I'm simply pointing out where he is more likely to find something more along these lines.

If you look under Electronica, where this should be rightly placed, it's a lot of airy floaty pads and bleeps. The pounding Kraftwerk-in-an-80's-gay-disco style is literally impossible to dig for in this day and age without going onto a forum like this and asking "Moar songs lyk this plz", because Beatport/TrackitDown/Stomp etc. just don't cater for it.

You tend to find songs like this in mixes with glitch hop because of their similar tempos, usage of "wub wub" and the kick-snare-kick-snare drum lines.

I'm not here to change definitions, I'm just pointing Helo in the right direction without over complicating things.

Although looking back I don't know why I kept saying 100 BPM, brainfart from me there.

Also, back on topic, earlier Boys Noize and also his label (The imaginatively titled "Boys Noize Records") contains some fantastic pounding Kraftwerk-in-an-80's-gay-disco style artists (Like Shadow Dancer, although again earlier stuff, since they seem to have fallen on to the deep/chill house bandwagon as of late)
    Werd man, I personally play a lot of glitch and just get bothered by the midtempo dubstep all over the glitch hop tags lol.

You definitely nailed OP's style with justice tho.

Thanks for chiming in guys, much appreciated.

I had a suspicion that the track was almost like a throwback to earlier styles, and that seems kind of the consensus here as well judging by the reference to older tracks. Some good ones though!

Sambo you are right on the money with the Beatport problem. I go to Beatport and unless I'm really familiar with the artists and style it's tough nailing down a style on there, there are simply way too many subgenres nowadays!

The appeal to me probably lies most in the driving beats and that anolog sound. I haven't been keeping up with boys noize lately, but they definitely used to be electro, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast