I feel like im taking crazy pills
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I feel like im taking crazy pills

I'm starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills! The setup that I'm looking for seems to simple and commonplace, but yet no one seems to have fun into this issue or has no idea what I'm talking about. So here's the deal..

I currently have the Traktor S4 (with Midi Fighter Spectra) but I am looking to take my DJ setup to the next level. I want to maintain the controllerism that I currently have but be able to utilize an analog mixer so if i take my setup to a club or other event I can use the house mixer, not to mention the ability for out-board effects. I was planning on switching to a pair of X1's to be able to control decks A, B, C and D independently.. but regardless of what controllers I use I have to be able to come out of my laptop with 4 separate analog outputs. In the past Native Instruments had this covered with their Audio 8 soundcard that provided 4 stereo outputs. Now that is discontinued and the closest thing is the new Audio 6 which has 6 TRS outputs (3 channels with left and right separate). I supposed I can get cables that cross between TRS and RCA but even then I only have 3 channels which means I can only utilize 3 decks. I've looked at tons of soundcards now and it seems like this is the setup that they are all going for.. So what does that mean for controllerism DJs? is the only option to use the midi controlled software mixer in Traktor (or Serato) and feed your whole mix to one channel on the house mixer? or would I need to purchase 2 soundcards just to get the 4 outputs I need?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Adam

Moved because you actually have to "Show your setup" in the Show Your Setup forum
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I may be misreading this but why don't you buy an NI Audio 10?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    exactly the first thing to pop into my mind

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    this is what you're looking for not the A6.

Tascam US-16x08 - $300
    M-Audio MTrack Eight - $400
    NI A10 - $500
    Rane SL4 - $900

RME has a selection of more expensive interfaces.

If you want to go crazy, so do Apogee, Echo, Metric Halo, Avid...probably Steinberg....and a bunch of other people.

So, there are some options.

There are also a lot of mixers that have this functionality on their own (Rane mp25, mp26, sixty-four, sixty-eight, most of the Pioneers, at least one denon, etc.) if you happen to like one. But, that doesn't solve your issue of wanting to use the house mixer.

This is also exactly how my setup works, with an old M-Audio FW410, which I'm going to "upgrade" to an A10 soon.
    Last edited by mostapha; 11-04-2014 at 09:34 AM.

I did the same thing as you. Started with an S4, then moved to analogue mixer and two X1's. I like it a lot more. The S4 is great for home mixing & house parties, but small modular controllers are way more suitable for a club setup. The X1's easily fit in your bag, just plug your sound card into the house mixer and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamArthur View Post
    In the past Native Instruments had this covered with their Audio 8 soundcard that provided 4 stereo outputs. Now that is discontinued and the closest thing is the new Audio 6 which has 6 TRS outputs
    You're looking at the Komplete Audio 6. It's NI's interface for production, that's why it has XLR / TRS inputs and outputs. NI still makes sound cards for DJing. They discontinued the Audio 8, but replaced it with the Audio 10. It has 5 stereo RCA inputs / 5 stereo RCA outputs. This is the one you should check out.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...r-scratch-a10/

I use the A10 and I love it. But, as mostapha said, there are plenty of cheaper / more expensive sound cards on the market with 4 outputs. All depends on how much you're willing to spend.
    I knew a girl, who tried to walk across the lake.
    Of course it was winter, when all this was... Ice...

Tech Mentor

the big advantage to using the native instrument cards - they're scratch certified. So if you ever desire to use CDJs or vinyl with your setup you can.

Why not go with xones?

IMO, Audio 6 and 2 x1's ... unless you ABSOUTELY need four decks running at the same time this is the way to go...
    You can run 2 external decks + 2 remix decks (both remix decks running to one channel) .. So you would need 3 channels on the mixer, assuming you are allowed access to swap cables over (take this into consideration, some places do not allow this) ..
    Otherwise just run your master out from the S4 into a spare channel and go nuts.

P.S all of you, pls do not discuss using Non-NI soundcards for use with TSP, this is not allowed, k
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast