Filler remix sets to keep the energy going
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Filler remix sets to keep the energy going

This is my first post on this forum, tried searching for something similar but got nothing.

Anyway,I'm trying to get around this issue where some songs I play have these "dead zones" with basically no sound/energy and no beat to keep the crowd in the groove. I'm experimenting with lots of things but I got something on my mind I wanna try and I need someone's help. I wanna find,or buy,or even build a remix set with a few basic elements like a simple 4 to the floor kick, some snares and rhythmic elements,some sidechained white noise I can fit into most songs' dead zones. Now obviously I can't get a one-for-all remix set but I could maybe get a few arranged by key or something similar. Also keep in mind I'm currently using an s4 with one remix deck set up,so that is only 4 slots without some extra mapping (Looking to upgrade my setup with an f1,but I got a feeling mk2 is gonna be coming out). So, any suggestions, should I just throw something together from a few songs and make white noise in a DAW? There must be simple remix sets out there that fit my purpose,I just suck at finding them.

why not just chop up the existing song into loops you can monkey with?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fokezy View Post
    This is my first post on this forum, tried searching for something similar but got nothing.

Anyway,I'm trying to get around this issue where some songs I play have these "dead zones" with basically no sound/energy and no beat to keep the crowd in the groove. I'm experimenting with lots of things but I got something on my mind I wanna try and I need someone's help. I wanna find,or buy,or even build a remix set with a few basic elements like a simple 4 to the floor kick, some snares and rhythmic elements,some sidechained white noise I can fit into most songs' dead zones. Now obviously I can't get a one-for-all remix set but I could maybe get a few arranged by key or something similar. Also keep in mind I'm currently using an s4 with one remix deck set up,so that is only 4 slots without some extra mapping (Looking to upgrade my setup with an f1,but I got a feeling mk2 is gonna be coming out). So, any suggestions, should I just throw something together from a few songs and make white noise in a DAW? There must be simple remix sets out there that fit my purpose,I just suck at finding them.
    You want to learn about phrasing. Its one of the very basics of DJing. Learning what parts of two tracks go together so that when a dead spot happens on one track, the other track already is carrying the groove with its beat.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    You want to learn about phrasing. Its one of the very basics of DJing. Learning what parts of two tracks go together so that when a dead spot happens on one track, the other track already is carrying the groove with its beat.
    That doesn't always work, but...yeah....that'd be my suggestion.

I've used remix decks and Maschine (not at the same time) to do it, but it's often more successful to just loop a minimal-ish section of the next or previous track.

To the OP....if you have access to a DAW, just make them. 808 and 909 kits fit in with a LOT of stuff. If you want it to fit better, don't have too much bass in the kick(s). Don't be afraid of snare/hat grooves (e.g., not completely straight) but be careful with them.

And don't do sidechained white noise. Apart from it being one of the most annoying sounds in modern music, if it's sidechained to something that's not actually playing, it'll just sound wrong.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    That doesn't always work, but...yeah....that'd be my suggestion.
    It does always work, if it doesnt, then you need to work on your phrasing.

Its not as if its random, the 16 bars of high hats on the incoming track get mixed in when I want high hats.

No, it does not always work.

There are a lot of tracks that fade almost to silence in an early breakdown after significant melodic content. If you want to avoid that, there are a lot of things you can do: doubles, hot cues, loops, remix decks, drum machines, teasing in another track....literally anything.

But starting a song 4 minutes early and forcing it there is not one of them, both tracks will have thick sections playing over each other, which almost always sounds bad. Or you wind up with those stupid "intro-drop-intro-drop-intro-drop-intro-ginally let a song play to the breakdown-glitch it out-new DJ" sets that drive people like me to sneak backstage and start unplugging things.

Add drums from basically anywhere or just don't play that track. Songs will tell you how they want to be mixed....you can adjust it for a lot of reasons....but pushing it that far is a mistake.

Practise better track selection. No remix decks needed
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Practise better track selection. No remix decks needed
    This was my point. If you cant phrase the way you want, then youve chosen the wrong tracks.

I mean you don't need beats 100% of the time, its all in the selections/set placement eh
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

If its house stuff you are mixing just get a cool loop going on Deck C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast