What would you do (Gig advice)

Default What would you do (Gig advice)

I know someone that works in a local high school and they will eventually have a senior dance. I may be able to get the gig, Im so so in my DJ skills but can mix two records together. As a new and unproven DJ how much should I charge Im thinking $150-$200 for 3 hours or am I under charging for that length of time. Is there anything that I should practice in the meantime, I'll be playing pop, bachata, rap and hip hop music, Thanks for the advice.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

How much would YOU pay you?

Would you feel like you'd got value for money if someone that was "so-so" turned up and played records for $200-$300???
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

I would do it for free. You should be paying them for the opportunity to get your feet wet in that situation with "so so" DJ skills. This should be looked at as a learning opportunity for you instead of an opportunity for monetary gain.

Most will disagree.

I wouldn't disagree.

The reputational damage you could cause by asking for payment when you ain't really that good will out-weigh the short term monetary benefit.

You can save yourself some embarrasment by not trying to charge. And, if they like you, they'll probably ask you back. THEN, you can rob those motherfuckers blind!

Untitled.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    I would do it for free. You should be paying them for the opportunity to get your feet wet in that situation with "so so" DJ skills. This should be looked at as a learning opportunity for you instead of an opportunity for monetary gain.

Most will disagree.

Sounds like good advice to me, I was thinking about doing it for free actually.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I wouldn't disagree.

The reputational damage you could cause by asking for payment when you ain't really that good will out-weigh the short term monetary benefit.

You can save yourself some embarrasment by not trying to charge. And, if they like you, they'll probably ask you back. THEN, you can rob those motherfuckers blind!

Untitled.jpg
    lol that made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    And, if they like you, they'll probably ask you back. THEN, you can rob those motherfuckers blind!

Untitled.jpg
    This was OBVIOUSLY the next paragraph of my advice I jut didnt want to say it...

Do the first one free, If you suck then they paid you fairly
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

So I spoke to the school today and they said "great" the person in charge said that they will have some pre prom partys that I can DJ at to get a feel for the music requested etc. I was also told that the last DJ that was hired was great but the students were still not satisfied with the performance. I was also told that I would get an honorarium to put towards music selection of the students.