Drumrack - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drumrack

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Ok, this may not exactly be what you're looking for, since it means running more midi tracks, yet it's my favorite workflow and if you can make it work you should give it a try...

Once you're done programming your beats, open up your drum rack so that you can see each of the individual channels.

Now right-click on one of the channels (e.g. the kick) and select "extract chain" (or something similar, I'm using the german version.. ).

This will create a new midi channel outside the drum rack that contains just the kick and a clip with the respective midi data, while at the same time deleting that channel from the drum rack.

Repeat for every channel in the drum rack.

In the end you will have one dedicated midi channel for each of your drum elements.

For me this approach holds some major advantages:

1. You can use the main send/return channels of your track.

2. More routing possibilities. You can group your drum tracks as you like, e.g. if you want to process you main drums with parallel compression and leave out the percussive elements. Or group the percussion, put a high pass filter on the group and leave the rest of the drums untouched.

3. Having dedicated midi clips for each drum element makes arranging so much easier, imho.
    Thanks A lot to you also! I check this thread just by hazard and... i found a trick that's i was looking for since a lot ot time. It will litght my coming week :-)

Abletons Drum Racks are just ridiculous.

I've only scratched the surface of 'em, and they are truly nuts.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Ok, this may not exactly be what you're looking for, since it means running more midi tracks, yet it's my favorite workflow and if you can make it work you should give it a try...

Once you're done programming your beats, open up your drum rack so that you can see each of the individual channels.

Now right-click on one of the channels (e.g. the kick) and select "extract chain" (or something similar, I'm using the german version.. ).

This will create a new midi channel outside the drum rack that contains just the kick and a clip with the respective midi data, while at the same time deleting that channel from the drum rack.

Repeat for every channel in the drum rack.

In the end you will have one dedicated midi channel for each of your drum elements.

For me this approach holds some major advantages:

1. You can use the main send/return channels of your track.

2. More routing possibilities. You can group your drum tracks as you like, e.g. if you want to process you main drums with parallel compression and leave out the percussive elements. Or group the percussion, put a high pass filter on the group and leave the rest of the drums untouched.

3. Having dedicated midi clips for each drum element makes arranging so much easier, imho.
    This looks awesome. I'd gotten to the point where I just created new Audio tracks and set the Audio From of the new Audio Track to the post mixer item in the drum rack. But this way, you get to save the MIDI and have different combinations of the different drum hits, which I personally see as a huge advantage to my way.

Well done!
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12