moving from iphone to android...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default moving from iphone to android...

Are there any tips tricks or hacks for android phones I need to know about? I am leaving the land of the iphone and moving over to android to see what it's like. I am not a latest and greatest phone person. I am tired of my iphone 4 and had a chance to get a Galaxy Avant for cheap. I am phone in the pocket person and didnt want a giant pants dragging phone. The screen on the Avant is an inch bigger than the iphone 4 so it should be good enough for me.

I don't care to hear from either iphone or android fanboy. As a long time iphone user I am sure to figure out the pros and cons pretty quickly.

I am asking about programs I should get or things I need to dump.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

If you find a media/music player that doesn't suck, I'm interested. All the ones I've tried seriously blow.

QuickOffice is decent, and Ingress is pretty cool for a while if you're into that kind of thing. It's like geocacheing with less of a "figure it out" mentality.

Go settings, about phone, scroll all the way to the bottom, then keep tapping where it says "build number" and it'll unlock a developer options menu. This will let you do stuff like keeping the screen on while the phone has power.

Under security menu, check "unknown sources" this "jailbreaks" the device so you can install applications without using the play store.

My recommended apps:

Doggcatcher- for podcasting
    Opensignal- for finding where the cell towers are and testing your download speed
    Snapseed- photo editor
    Servestream - Internet radio, really simple basic app but needs no facebook logins or any other crap like that
    VLC- play literally any media

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
    Go settings, about phone, scroll all the way to the bottom, then keep tapping where it says "build number" and it'll unlock a developer options menu. This will let you do stuff like keeping the screen on while the phone has power.

Under security menu, check "unknown sources" this "jailbreaks" the device so you can install applications without using the play store.

My recommended apps:

Doggcatcher- for podcasting
    Opensignal- for finding where the cell towers are and testing your download speed
    Snapseed- photo editor
    Servestream - Internet radio, really simple basic app but needs no facebook logins or any other crap like that
    VLC- play literally any media
    thanks!!!

Poweramp is a pretty sweet media player. Think it cost $5 or something. I use Podkicker for podcasts, ES File explorer for file management etc etc ...
    Consider the can of worms opened mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I use a LG Google Nexus5, and I gotta say I love this pure android OS distro better than the manufacturer branded distros.(That and the fact that the Android L / Lollipop update will be offered faster than the other brands.)
    If you get tired of it, like I did over the years with different brands, you might want to try and go for a different ROM. CyanogenMod and Miui are regarded as the better ones.

Apps I can recommend:
    Adobe Reader - PDF document reader
    Any.DO - to.do list app
    CCleaner - Cleaning cache files etc easily.
    ES File Explorer 3 - Awesome file manager
    Inbox - new way of emailing
    Perfect Viewer - comics reader
    Root Checker - Check if you have root access to your device
    Sunrise - Calendar app / widget
    SuperSU - Control your apps properly
    Towelroot - Root your Android device
    TuneIn Radio - Awesome streaming audio app
    Zaklamp - LED Flashlight app
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

hey tekki can you direct me to a forum for android?

Reddit.com/r/android is a good place to start.

If you want something hardcore nerdy, go to the XDADeveloper forums.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    hey tekki can you direct me to a forum for android?

Sure Keith, but stormcaller got it covered already. XDA used to be my "go to" place before my Nexus5.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Another vote for getting a Nexus. The new Nexus 6 is just being released, although I'm not sure I want something that big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast