How Do You Pick Your Cover Art?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How Do You Pick Your Cover Art?

Hi guys and gals,

I've recently put out some new mixes and songs, and was wondering what your thought process is for making your cover art. I tend to find wallpapers that fit the "mood" of the tack, and then edit them to have the appropriate words and shape. For example:

Photo Nov 08, 3 41 36 PM.jpgPhoto Nov 08, 8 06 30 PM.jpgPhoto Nov 10, 11 46 06 AM.jpg

Now, while this may skirt legality (hopefully these wallpapers are out there under a creative commons license), it is cheap and quick. Seeing as I don't have enough fans to justify paying artists, this feels okay to do for now. Do you have a different thought process? How do you go about making your cover art?

I personally don't care. I find an image on google images and use it. I figure my 100+ views aren't going to get me sued.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Banned

I don't make music, but if I did I would use black, or maybe red

Speaking of cover art I do what ImNotDedYet does or for my latest mix I got a card that my daughter drew for me and used it for cover art.

1103142302~2.jpg
    Last edited by bc6; 11-10-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Banned

Would making art for a mix count? Same right? Used to do that a lot. played around with photos in various adobe apps with klaidoscope type effects to make themes based on mood colours.

Sure why not, Ive thought about hand drawing some artwork for a cover but sadly my art skills are worse than my music playing.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Banned

If you have a bit of sense and time to learn photoshop and illustrator you can make a lot of nice stuff, plus those skills are always useful in other parts of life.

I bet you can, maybe next time I sell some gear I can get a copy of Photoshop.

Tech Mentor

Haha, I just use iOS apps to add filters and text to images. How do you go about selecting the right picture for your mix/track?

I have this as the cover art on another hip hop remix I did lol. The day I chose this pic I was acting a jerk as you can tell.

unnamed.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast