Tractor adding new tracks from existing folder?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Tractor adding new tracks from existing folder?

So this is my first post other than my introduction. I've been lurking for a while but as I get more into Traktor I find myself struggling to find the answers to my questions.

I'm using Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7. The folder that I keep all of my DJ music in is named Beatport Music and I have the pathway set up in Traktor Music Folders to see that folder. When I add new tracks to that folder, how do I get Traktor to add those new tracks to my track collection?

NI's website says to tell Traktor to load all of my tracks on startup, but all that did was double all my tracks that were already added. I did several searches here, on google, and youtube as well but can't find the answer.

Tech Wizard

dont have traktor in front of me right now

Cant you just find the folder in Explorer tree under "playlists", right click, choose "import to Collection"

Tech Wizard

Are you talking about where it says "Explorer" under Track Collection on the left hand side of Traktor when it's open or under the Finder on my Mac?

You have to manually import tracks to the collection, as traktor does not scan folders for new tracks. You can either drag/drop from the folder or use the tree in traktor.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RussellG View Post
    NI's website says to tell Traktor to load all of my tracks on startup, but all that did was double all my tracks that were already added.
    That is actually the correct method if you want Traktor to update the collection from one folder. It should not re-add tracks it should only add tracks that are not previously in the collection.

The problem is that when your collection becomes large it can take Traktor ages to start due to checking the your main folder.
    Better to do it manually. This where iTunes becomes a good option because you can easily cross reference import dates. In fact it's even easier in 2.7.0 as tracks not in the collection have grey text rather than white.

Tech Wizard

Are there step by step instructions where to drag is from/to? Or how to do it in the Traktor tree? I just made the switch from Serato and the Traktor file system isn't very intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    You have to manually import tracks to the collection, as traktor does not scan folders for new tracks. You can either drag/drop from the folder or use the tree in traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    The problem is that when your collection becomes large it can take Traktor ages to start due to checking the your main folder.
    Better to do it manually. This where iTunes becomes a good option because you can easily cross reference import dates. In fact it's even easier in 2.7.0 as tracks not in the collection have grey text rather than white.
    Traktor's main folder scan is extremely quick for that type of operation though. iTunes can take quite a while, for example.

What I would like is that during that scan, all new tracks were automatically added to the Preparation list. That would be extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchwerks View Post
    What I would like is that during that scan, all new tracks were automatically added to the Preparation list. That would be extremely helpful.
    That's just your personal preference though and I would venture a highly personal one at that. I doubt that many users would find that helpful. My prep list changes from one gig to the next (each night). The preparation list is just that, it's not the collection. Tracks have to be added to the collection first. You can always select those tracks and add to your preparation list.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    That's just your personal preference though and I would venture a highly personal one at that. I doubt that many users would find that helpful. My prep list changes from one gig to the next (each night). The preparation list is just that, it's not the collection. Tracks have to be added to the collection first. You can always select those tracks and add to your preparation list.
    I think you may have slightly misunderstood me. I am saying I would like new additions found during the start up scan to automatically go to the Prep list, not the entire library.

The reason I would like it is similar to how I like the new iTunes feature of displaying recent additions. I can go to the preparation list and then make sure tags are correct, analyze, add comments and ratings on all new tracks. Otherwise I have to search manually for the tracks, then send them to the prep list.

Once tracks are "prepped," I can then send them to more organized playlists and delete them from the preparation list.

That's how I do it, I'm certainly not suggesting it's the best way for everybody.

But all tracks 'have' to go into the collection first (library).

I see what you mean but I think the 'Preparation List' is the wrong place. I use the Prep list at every gigs as my main working playlist.
    I agree that a 'Recent Additions' playlist would be useful but I guess that will only come with Smart Playlists (if they ever come).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast