Choice Of Monitors? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I also have the Audio Engine A5's and the KRK 5". The A5's sound much better, especially in the mids and highs. I actually like the fact that there is only one amp. You only need one a/c outlet. There is no balance like Loopcat mention, but since you normally have them pointed right at your face, you don't need to adjust the balance.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I also have the Audio Engine A5's and the KRK 5". The A5's sound much better, especially in the mids and highs. I actually like the fact that there is only one amp. You only need one a/c outlet. There is no balance like Loopcat mention, but since you normally have them pointed right at your face, you don't need to adjust the balance.
    That is not the balance he is talking about. You're talking about L/R balance.

This is what LoopCat is talking about.
    http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/te...work-with-them
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

Ha Ha. What the hell was I thinking. I missed the balance INPUT part. Either way, you still can't adjust the L/R balance or have balance inputs on the A5's, which is not that big a deal since they do sound great.

I might actually need some advice here....and this seems as good of a thread as any.....

I had some spare time and went to my GC to play with their monitor walls. I hate shopping for speakers. That's why I got my KRKs....I went in to talk to them, and one of the Managers from when I worked there offered me a pair of RP5s for like $180 total. I got my money's worth out of them.

I want new/better speakers, and I was hoping that listening would confirm my research so I could put money aside for JBL LSR308s and an LSR310S and use the thanksgiving discount they sent me (~$800 total).....and they just didn't sound right. They probably just had them under-driven like woah, but they were just....wrong.

To my ears, with one of my recorded DJ mixes, in that room....the differences in the ~$500/pr speakers were staggaring...but nothing stood out as "right". The tannoys really seem hi-mid/hi focused but better than most of the others....The yamaha HS7 and HS8 were flatter but still a bit....off. The JBLs....sounded like they balanced right...but I had to turn the monitor controller up so loud that I could hear noise coming from basically everywhere, and they never did have any real presence.

Are they actually that quiet/boring, or did GC just have them set too low? And yes, I know what monitors are supposed to sound like.

And....are any of these actually enough of a step up from KRKs to worry about? Or is it just different flaws?

Now.....the high-end wall was a significantly different experience. For more like $700-800 a speaker, there were some realy nice options for what I want, though I'd still want a sub (probably still that LSR310s) for when I can get away with it.

I didn't listen to anything nicer because I didn't want to fall in love with speakers that were $4000/pair. I really can't justify that expense, but....

Genelc 8030s struck me as "flat" but not boring, like I knew they would. I've used them before, but never owned them.
    Adam A7xs struck me as "crisp", but maybe a bit tame for dance music.
    Dynaudio BM5mk3s struck me as "nice".
    Neumann KH120s struck me as "woah!". These are some sweet-sounding speakers....possibly too flattering for what I want. But still...woah.

And going back home and listening to the same thing on my KRKs, they strike me as "crap".

Side note: if you have KRK Rokits, do yourself a favor and don't directly compare them to good speakers unless your ears are shot.

So, yeah....any advice? Ideally around $1000 with a sub. $2000 if you think it's worth it.

Tech Mentor

My main monitors are the Yamaha HS80M, so I can't help you on high end monitors. I mainly use them for just practice, and for practice, my KRK 5 and Audioengine A5's work fine. I don't see the need, at least for me, to have super expensive monitors hooked up to my DJ rig, but I'm not a musician or producer, so my needs are different. For critical listening, I turn on my Mcintosh system, and listen to my Onix Mini Strata audiophile speakers, which are in the same room as my DJ rig. Maybe you should look into an audiophile system for listening to music, unless you need really nice monitors to Produce or something.

I've tried that, and I mean no disrespect, but....honestly....I've always been flabergasted at the prices people pay for what end up noisy, colored, loose, smear-y, "meh" systems.

Granted, this has always been in someone's house. And you never really know if they set it up right or knew what they were doing. I've also never heard Mcintosh or Onix. The "best" I've heard was Carver preamp/amp and Acoustic Research AR5s. But, honestly, for what those things cost and how the owners raved about them, I just wasn't impressed.

Anything I listened to today was more detailed, with the execption of the scooped mids of the KRKs.

I kinda feel the same about Audioengines. I just don't see (hear?) what people like about them.

Did you check out Mackie HR 624 or 824? A mate who lived right next door to me had the 624s, in comparison to my HS80M I always found the hi-/mid-range quite similar, but with a better low-end. I quite liked them.

And you probably should check out the Adams so many people are raving about, but I have no first-hand experience to contribute there.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

I've never really liked mackies.

The a7x are good speakers, but (like I mentioned) maybe a bit tame for dance music.

I didn't really like their cheaper speakers.

Tech Guru

I mean, don't go in with the mindset that you don't like Mackies.

Try them out.

I thought they were gonna be like KRKs because they're so cheap, but they sounded amazing. The Yamahas are good when supplemented with a sub.

Tannoys and JBLs didn't sound too great IMO.

My favorites without regard of price were the Dynaudio and Genelec.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Yeah....I did. I still don't like them.

If I decide to spend that much, I'm probably going with Neumann's. After reading more about them, I'm convinced that what I was hearing wasn't as much that they were flattering as that they most directly showed how crap the krks I'm used to are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast