Best earbuds under $100? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well....it's a matter of priorities.

Do my $8 (whatever) skullcandy earbuds actually sound good? No, they don't. They're muddy and low-mid-y and severely lacking on highs and separation and detail and all of the other good things that good speakers or headphones do. But they were $8. I've definitely gotten worse earbuds for $60 before. I've also gotten only marginally better for $40 and felt bad about destroying them.

Those $70 etymotics were a great value, and etymotic marketed them with their own calculated accuracy score of like 89%. Their $300 IEMs at the time got like a 93%. The current $60 ones get an 85% iirc. And based on their descriptions of how it was measured, that number actually seems to mean something.

Unfortunately, they were replaced by ones "made for iDevices" that had over-pronounced low-mids, slightly lacking highs, and a huge bump at 2k....better than my cheap SC, but not 8 times as good...and they only lasted like 6 months of normal use and relatively careful care.

Like I said....if I cared, I'd be looking at $200-300 IEMs (se315, um pro 20, etc.). But, I just use my hd-25s or mdr-7506s when I actually want things to sound right as opposed to just being there. And I can DJ with the skullcandies in a pinch. It's not pleasant, but it works better than broken monitors.

There are a lot of places where I just don't think mid-range gear is worth what it costs: CDJs, earbuds, dj practice speakers, bags (I have a bag obsession, go ahead and make fun of me), clothes, jewelry, shoes....fortunately there actually are cheap earbuds that don't totally and completely suck.
    Last edited by mostapha; 11-19-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Schalenberg

I'm only going to be using them for work. I listen to music all day. I think anything will be better than my iPhone earbuds. For home use, I use the same headphones you do, mostapha.

Yeah...iPhone earbuds just plain don't fit my ears.

Mine are weird in that my ear canals are 2 different sizes. That's actually why I picked the SCs. Even the super-cheap ones come with 3 pairs of rubber thingies (what are those called) in different sizes. So, large on the left, medium on the right....and they at least fit.

I lose my earbuds a lot so I don't buy expensive. The Marley ones are ok, although I got a good deal on mine. The Tweaked Audio ones being hawked on damn near every podcast im listening to are actually quite nice too, although make sure you use a discount code when ordering them. Both are better than Apple earbuds but no substitute for IEMs.

Entry level IEMs start at something like the Shure SE215

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    I'm only going to be using them for work. I listen to music all day. I think anything will be better than my iPhone earbuds. For home use, I use the same headphones you do, mostapha.
    I work at a desk..and I wear headphones. Mostly to block the outside noise while making it "obvious" that I have headphones on.

With earbuds people would have 2 minute conversations with me, and I'm all nodding my head...and not hearing a word. It happened often enough that I switched to headphones.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    I work at a desk..and I wear headphones. Mostly to block the outside noise while making it "obvious" that I have headphones on.

With earbuds people would have 2 minute conversations with me, and I'm all nodding my head...and not hearing a word. It happened often enough that I switched to headphones.
    We're not really allowed to wear earbuds/headphones but I get away with it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yeah...iPhone earbuds just plain don't fit my ears....
    Especially the newer model. I cant take more than 2 steps without one falling out!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12