Pioneer DDJ SX-2 or Numark Mixtrack Pro II?
    Tech Wizard

Default Pioneer DDJ SX-2 or Numark Mixtrack Pro II?

I know this sounds silly. The ddj sx-2 is 4 times as expensive as the mixtrack pro ii. But just to be clear, this will be my first ever dj controller, i have been hitting with virtual dj for a few months and i am buying a controller with a serato dj software. These 2 sound reliable, if ddj sx2 worths the investment, then i'd go for that 1000bucks controller, or i can also start with the cheap mixtrack pro ii. Mixtrack pro 2 should offer versatility, and of course it's easier to use for such a hardware beginner like me, but ddjsx2 seems to be a longer run investment.

which one comes with a built-in soundcard (pre-mixing) and does any of them come with the Serato DJ software?

Tech Mentor

First ever dj controller? Numark, definitely. Dj controllers don't hold their value that well unfortunately. Both of them have a soundcard and use Serato. The Numark has Serato DJ Intro and the Pioneer has the full Serato DJ. Serato DJ Intro should keep you very busy for a long time if you're a beginner.

There's nothing wrong with the Numark by the way. It's well built, light, cheap, has a relatively small footprin and comes with a lot of features. I've had one for over a year and will use it in a bar next sathurday for an entire evening. It has never let me down. Ever.

Get the basics down on the Numark, acquire your own taste. Once you get there, you'll know exactly what you want to use and why. There's so much gear out there and it's impossible to know as a beginner what you want to do in a few years time. In a year you'll be able to set your requirements very specific and choose wisely.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    First ever dj controller? Numark, definitely. Dj controllers don't hold their value that well unfortunately. Both of them have a soundcard and use Serato. The Numark has Serato DJ Intro and the Pioneer has the full Serato DJ. Serato DJ Intro should keep you very busy for a long time if you're a beginner.

There's nothing wrong with the Numark by the way. It's well built, light, cheap, has a relatively small footprin and comes with a lot of features. I've had one for over a year and will use it in a bar next sathurday for an entire evening. It has never let me down. Ever.

Get the basics down on the Numark, acquire your own taste. Once you get there, you'll know exactly what you want to use and why. There's so much gear out there and it's impossible to know as a beginner what you want to do in a few years time. In a year you'll be able to set your requirements very specific and choose wisely.
    am i able to sell it again after i decided to swap devices? maybe for the first 1 year it will do but i will surely upgrade after i find this not capable anymore. i think its pretty well built since its one of the best selling controller. is it actually risky to get the ddj sx2 if i dont know my playing style yet?
    and can you please explain the statement on bold? thanks

Tech Mentor

Sure you can sell your gear, but don't expect it to be anywhere near the price you paid for it. Just look at the buy and sell forum and compare the controllers they sell to what they cost when they were new.

If you don't know what you want to do yet, it's best to start with something with as many features as possible for the least amount of money. (Relatively) cheap controllers are excellent for that.
    You may decide in a year that you want to go DVS, play techno with a combination of Ableton and Traktor or get a set of CDJ's. None of these three is 'worse' than the others by any means (although plenty of people will disagree) and all three require very different gear. What all three have in common though, is that they all cost a ton of money and will require you to sell the SX2 if you bought it. And since Pioneer releases a lot of gear these days you'll have lost way more in value of the SX2 than the Mixtrack is worth outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    And since Pioneer releases a lot of gear these days you'll have lost way more in value of the SX2 than the Mixtrack is worth outright.
    This is true. Pioneer gear still has a high price and they release new hardware in max 2 years so you loose value pretty quick. I haven't really looked at that before...hm :/
    Maybe choose something in the middle like Denon? MC6000 mk1 is still better than mk2 in some regards so their gear is still desireable even after few years.
    Mk1 is not only a standalone mixer but also able to do DVS (that was like, 3 years ago?)
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2