Traktor Dropping ALAC support - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    If it's that big of a deal that things keep working, why would you go all in on alac? It's kind of a niche format in a world of niche formats.
    Thats irrelevant, isnt it?It was %100 supported by Traktor until the second they dropped it. It also is still supported by many many apps. It was also the only lossless format they recommended for use with Itunes.

The format is irrelevant, I can script them to FLAC very easily, but my TRaktor collection is still destroyed in the process. Im specifically angry about that part, not the dropping of support as such.

Does traktor not support flac, and do you really need the space savings?
    Traktor does, Itunes doesnt. My whole 250 gb library is based on itunes, and my whole multiroom audio system is built on itunes. I have to have duplicate libraries now with all the complication that entails. Did you actually read my post? All your questions are covered in there.

As I stated, I will need to provide an extra %30-50 storage, on three computers that make up my DJ computers and backup server. Why should I have to do this at no notice because NI management is incompetent?

Even if i do convert to FLAC, the files are not compatible with Traktors one and only supported music manager. This is where I find the whole thing so confusing as to what NI are playing at.

Again I dont care about the file types. I care about the time it will take me to get back to exactly where I was before the update. This will be at least 50 hours and will be painful. How would you feel If i wiped all your digital dj history of the last two years?

[/QUOTE]Basically.....this happens with QuickTime. Why trust it in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Thats just silly. Its nothing to do with QT. Its to do with NI dropping a major file type with zero notice. Every other ALAC compatible app on Windows still works perfectly. The ALAC decoder is open source.

If NI said it was because of QT licencing fees, then at least that would be some explanation.

This is fucking bull. I run totally ALAC aside from MP3 only freebies on Soundcloud. Guess I'm done updating Traktor.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    This is fucking bull. I run totally ALAC aside from MP3 only freebies on Soundcloud. Guess I'm done updating Traktor.
    Sorry to hear it dude. I was beginning to think I was the only one lols.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Sorry to hear it dude. I was beginning to think I was the only one lols.
    Far from I'd be willing to bet. Just in my (albeit small circle) I know at least 7 other DJs who run all ALAC.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

The knowledge base article says that they are working on a solution and that the problem occured because of external reasons.
    Easiest solution for now. Don't upgrade and wait till they are done... (unless you are using an S8 of course)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sheikyerbouti View Post
    The knowledge base article says that they are working on a solution and that the problem occured because of external reasons.
    Easiest solution for now. Don't upgrade and wait till they are done... (unless you are using an S8 of course)
    Youve not read my post, and you dont understand the issue.
    Last edited by ImNoDJ; 11-27-2014 at 04:16 AM.

No long term NI user is at all convinced by them saying they are working on it.
    What else should they do? Send a personal coach to your place to help you out in your life threatening situation? They responded and they are working on it... basta. Now stop flooding the whole internet with your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Are you sure, the problem applies to you? Looks to me like ALAC support is only gone on Windows
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Are you sure, the problem applies to you? Looks to me like ALAC support is only gone on Windows
    Yep it's only Windows. Macosx and ÎOS are unaffected.

And yet every other windows app still plays ALAC perfectly even though NI claim it's caused by MS and apple. So baffling.

Yep it's only Windows. Macosx and ÎOS are unaffected.

And yet every other windows app still plays ALAC perfectly even though NI claim it's caused by MS and apple. So baffling.
    Well I don't know which app you are talking about, but I would assume that its simply a playback app and not a complex DJ software?! I mean... if it was that simple, why would they drop the support in the first place? Just to piss of users? Because they don't like windows? They will address the problem with suitable ressources.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast