adam a5x or banana turbo 5
    Tech Convert

Default adam a5x or banana turbo 5

Gonna splash out on some smaller actives for working late at night, can anyone shed some light on which maybe better investment. Like the front mounted gain but am also a sucker for yellow boxes. Please help

Well, they're in 2 very different price classes. I've heard both and much preferred the sound of the a5x. I've also heard a few reports of their ribbon tweeters dying for no reason, but that might just be isolated things exaggerated by the forum effect.

If those were the only 2 monitors in existence and price weren't an issue, I'd buy the adams.

Tech Guru

Obviously owning the Adam's I can say they are fantastic, and coming from KRK's and I can also say they are a massive step up.

They don't go as loud as the KRK's I had, but I don't need to have them as loud either, nice flat frequency response, and a pleasure to work with. There is a slight port chuffing issue at loud volumes, but I rarely have them that loud to cause it.

But like Mostapha said the two pairs are in different price classes, depends on how much you want to spend and what you are using them for.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Convert

You both say they are vastly different price point but right now a pair of the turbo 5s is £460 and the a5x's are £525. Seems very similar to me. Power looks similar as well. Glad to hear you think the Adams are a step up from krk's as that's what I'm looking for.

Tech Guru

Just checked, You can grab a pair of the Turbo's for yeah 460 on Juno, or buy them seperately for 197 each, work that out.

Personally I don't have any experience of the Monkey Banana stuff, the colours just put me right off as well as the shape.

Obviously the Adam has been around longer and has a good rep.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Guru

Just checked your setup, very nice man, how do you find the Elektron MD?

Tech Convert

Love the md, it's the be all and end all of percussion. There's so many nifty tricks and undocumented things to discover.

I would not pay the US equivalent of 400 quid for the monkey bananas, but prices over the pond are higher. I think here they're around 200-300USD for the pair, and they're good for that price.

For around 500GBP, you might also be able to get a pair of Yamaha HS8s I think I'd pick those over the monkey bananas too, especially for that price.