What software do you use to sort your Serato Crates/Music?
    Tech Student

Default What software do you use to sort your Serato Crates/Music?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do some spring cleaning on my music library.
    At the moment my music is sorted using crates (not iTunes playlists) in Serato, I've got various physical folders all over my hard drive with majority of newer songs just in my 'Downloads' folder and dragged straight into its own crate in Serato.

What I'm planning to do is eventually collate all my music into a manageable file structure so I can directly copy and paste the files onto my new laptop and keep all the crates.

What's the best way or best software to have this organised?
    I also have a heap of tracks in my Serato that I've deleted the physical files off the hard drive still showing, becomes a small frustration when I go to load up a song that no longer exists lol.

Any tips, tricks or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Tech Mentor

I go between Beatport pro and iTunes if that helps any. People talk shit about iTunes but it does do a good job of putting every thing into a good file structure.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

iTunes and I playlist lots of items and have some with only say 20tracks some with 600 depends on what I use that playlist for... Once I moved to straight up usuing iTunes I don't think I've created a crate in serato since... Also iTunes has some good sort features

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

itunes I find is the easiest.

I generally just use folders , very seldom an actual "playlist"

Takes up more space with duplicates but I only have max 40 gigs of music.

Tech Mentor

I have found using smart playlists in iTunes to be the most effective way for organizing music for me. A few moments of preparation in the beginning go a long way later when your collection gets bigger and bigger. Here's a video of my explanation of how to use smart crates:

iTunes smart playlists ftw. If you have it all set up right, any song you drag in and rename will be put in its place.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sicnarf033 View Post
    iTunes smart playlists ftw. If you have it all set up right, any song you drag in and rename will be put in its place.
    Exactly! Once its setup correctly there just isn't any going back to using "dumb" playlists.