LaunchPad Midi with Serato and Ableton
    Tech Wizard

Default LaunchPad Midi with Serato and Ableton

Hey guys,

I just recently got into the idea of using controllers for djing with Ableton. I just got a Launchpad, messing around with it i realized there is no way for me to effectively get volume and effect controls. I was wondering what I should use for this. I have the impression that I should get either a whole mixer or another midi controller that is specifically made for volume and effects.

What would be the best buy for me?
    Last edited by Nas525; 12-03-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Tech Convert

Why don't just get a DJ controller from Numarl, Pioneer, NI? If you're not in to that or you're broke (Like me). Stay with the launchpad an get one of this controllers. They're superb. A bit outdated (It's a shame Behringer hasn.t updated these controller.) http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx

Tech Convert

P.S. This is a Midi controller, It doesn't have a soundcard.

The launchpad has a mixer page. you just hit one of the top buttons and then you have controller over volume and things of each track.
    Also, you can control sends (if you put your effects on send tracks) or you can use the user mode page to assign rows of buttons to whatever effects you want.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kilbot View Post
    The launchpad has a mixer page. you just hit one of the top buttons and then you have controller over volume and things of each track.
    Also, you can control sends (if you put your effects on send tracks) or you can use the user mode page to assign rows of buttons to whatever effects you want.
    this works, but if you want something that is dedicated you can look into one of these:

71XlFlCnCtL._SL1500_.jpg

they're pretty affordable, around the 60ish price range.

or if you want to spend a little extra doe, the launch key XL will give you a little more control with more buttons and pots.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

I think the Novation Launch Control XL is exactly what you're looking for. Could setup a 3 band eq faders and some dummy clip effects. But then you still need a decent soundcard. Have you looked at the Novation Twitch? It's relatively inexpensive, works with Serato midi maps to Ableton and has a built in soundcard. Good luck in your search!

Launch Control XL:

Twitch:

Without getting into a long explanation, getting a mixer to use with live is generally a waste of money for most people. Live has all the effects and features that any expensive mixer would have. You will most likley better be suited with something mentioned above. Launch control, BCF, etc. If you wanted to go all in one you could either get an apc40 mk1 for like 100 bucks used or a new apc40 mk2 for 400. The new apcs are real nice pieces of kit for live. I personally use a livid rgb slim and a midi fighter pro and absolutely love it.

Although I have to admit, if money wasnt an option I would have a xone DB4 but it IS overkill for live. But oh so sexy...