SSD Endurance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: SSD Endurance

  1. #1
    Tech Guru mostapha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,748

    Default SSD Endurance

    For those of you that don't think SSDs are durable enough, it's just because hard drive manufacturers tried to scare people with the whole limited writes thing.

    TechReport is still running their enduance test, and there are 2 still going after 2 PB of writes. Yes, 2 petabytes, or the equivalent of over-writing a 512GB SSD in its entirety 4000 times.

    http://techreport.com/review/27436/t...king-petabytes

    If you've got questions, just buy a samsung 840 Pro on clearance and don't worry about it until you replace your computer twice.

  2. #2
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    For those of you that don't think SSDs are durable enough, it's just because hard drive manufacturers tried to scare people with the whole limited writes thing.

    TechReport is still running their enduance test, and there are 2 still going after 2 PB of writes. Yes, 2 petabytes, or the equivalent of over-writing a 512GB SSD in its entirety 4000 times.

    http://techreport.com/review/27436/t...king-petabytes

    If you've got questions, just buy a samsung 840 Pro on clearance and don't worry about it until you replace your computer twice.
    Its interesting.

    But no large conclusions can be drawn from a tiny data set. They would really need to do this test on hundreds of drives across tens of brands to be conclusive.

    6 data points should be taken as interesting, but not factual.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru the_bastet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Who cares man. If it works, it works. If anyone argues against SSD, take an SSD and an oldschool HD, drop them each 20 feet onto concrete, and plug them both in. Which one still works?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Posts
    378

    Default

    is there a TL;DR version that someone can tell us?
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

  5. #5
    Tech Guru mostapha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,748

    Default

    People complain about the theoretically limited write endurance of SSDs because they can't read technical reports. I'm guessing it was exacerbated by hard drive manufacturers posting/writing about it in a desperate attempt to say relevant.

    They ignore the fact that hard drives are susceptible to something similar because it was never widely publicized.

    And somebody took some SSDs and ran an endurance test out of a small sample. All of them lasted longer than the manufacturer said they would, some by many times more than anyone would ever write to one outside of a test lab.

    Yes, the sample size is small, but....uhh...the chances that these drives are close to average performance is a lot greater than the chance that they're many times more durable than average.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

    Yes, the sample size is small, but....uhh...the chances that these drives are close to average performance is a lot greater than the chance that they're many times more durable than average.
    You have nowhere near enough data to make that claim. Youre basing those chances on literally nothing.

    I know what you are getting at, but hard drives need to be assessed in the thousands if you want to make claims about failure rates. The fact that a hard drive of any make and model can fail at any time means you have to have a large sample size.

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    Who cares man. If it works, it works. If anyone argues against SSD, take an SSD and an oldschool HD, drop them each 20 feet onto concrete, and plug them both in. Which one still works?
    That wont prove anything except which one smashes better. Any hard drive can fail at any time.

  8. #8
    DJTT Moderator Dude Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,333

    Default

    I read that 5 years of average use is about right. Pretty much the same as a shitty old HDD.
    Acer E5 i7 2TB 16GB ~ 512GB SSD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ X1 ~ DN-X1600 ~ X1 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ AT2020 MIC

    "This aggression will not stand, man."

  9. #9
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I read that 5 years of average use is about right. Pretty much the same as a shitty old HDD.
    "From the data I've seen, client SSD annual failure rates under warranty tend to be around 1.5%, while HDDs are near 5%"

    http://www.computerworld.com/article...iscovered.html

  10. #10
    Tech Guru space monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    back home
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Damn, I've gotten 10+ years out of most of my HDD. Only had one die on me.
    Still, an interesting test that I'll read more about over my morning joe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •