Sound-proofing tips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default Sound-proofing tips

I recently moved to a new place. A wooden place. Everything is wooden, and the sound is pretty shitty. I’d like to do something to make the sound better and a bit more isolated, but I don’t know where to start. Any tips?

Start with rugs and drapes, then think about sound diffusion wall mounts and corner bass traps.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Schalenberg

Ahhhh, rugs. Didn't think of that. There's nothing currently on the floor or on the walls. Thanks man.

Beds and sofas can be bass traps too

Schalenberg

I have a loveseat in there, along with my half-assed ikea DJ booth. The sounds sounds so far away, if that makes sense.

It sounds far away because you have a lot of "reverb" by sounds bouncing all over off your walls. Do what SirReal said.

Here's a bunch of info on sound treatment: http://www.gikacoustics.com/articles/ from a really good company. I just worked with them to get some treatment and it made a world of difference, plus they're very good to work with since I came from knowing very little and asked them question after question after question. But a lot of these things can be built on your own too if you're handy. You can google and youtube the hell out of it.

Mind you, sound treatment which will improve the sound in your room will NOT necessarily sound proof your room. If you're looking for sound proofing, that's something altogether different.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    http://www.gikacoustics.com/articles/[/url]
    Thanks for the link. I'm blocked here at work, so I'll check it out later. What about that foam for the walls?

"Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I have used curtain clips and hung moving blankets around the walls in my room ... i make sure they are a few inches from the wall to sort of act like a sound trap.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Here's a bunch of info on sound treatment: http://www.gikacoustics.com/articles/ from a really good company.
    Definitely start with that. I'm in a similar situation and just starting research into doing my room. From talking to people and some experiments....

Blankets and drapes do literally nothing.
    Beds and couches do literally nothing.
    Bookshelves can work as diffusers, but they won't solve your problems... They're part of step 7 or 8, and your working on step 1.

GiK looks like a good company to work with, and I've been told some of their packages are a great deal if you're not going to build things yourself, which is harder than it seems at first, or at least more complicated.
    Last edited by mostapha; 12-11-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast