Audio monitoring speaker question. (beginner)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Audio monitoring speaker question. (beginner)

I am looking for a budget and reliable audio monitoring speaker (pair) for room sized DJing. I'd rather have good quality rather than loud voice. Since I won't be able to put it loud anyway.

The Pioneer S-DJ series or M-Audio BX-5 seem to be a bit too expensive for me. What can I get for my budget around US$200 for a pair?

M-Audio AV 30 seems affordable at only 150bucks a pair., but is it realiable enough? Which should I get? I would be open to used mint condition speakers too.

Thanks!

Depending on where you are, give Beatlab in Atlanta a call. They got a double shipment of Monkey Banana Turbos that should sound pretty decent for that price. They should be able to ship to you, but I'm not sure where you are or how far they ship. I'm also not sure what the actual price is because I just don't remember.

Also, with it being near Christmas and all, you might be able to get a pair of JBL LSR305s or Tannoy 502s from Guitar Center for about that price if you actually go into the store and offer it to them.

I'd pick any of those over the AV40 just for the slightly-better bass extension.

Tech Guru

How are your tinkering skills?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-pair--300-640

Paired with any reasonable stereo receiver, that will get you a lot of quality for the $$$. If you need a receiver, it does come slightly out of your price range, but beats any of the other options for sound quality by a mile.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH130-.../dp/B006U1VH2S
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    How are your tinkering skills?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-pair--300-640

Paired with any reasonable stereo receiver, that will get you a lot of quality for the $$$. If you need a receiver, it does come slightly out of your price range, but beats any of the other options for sound quality by a mile.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH130-.../dp/B006U1VH2S
    well tbh, tinkering stuffs isn't really my thing. i'd even prefer to bring it to the experts eitherway.

any decent receivers should be enough for me. it might only take place in my room though. is that dayton audio suitable for DJing purpose? since i haven't once heard of it. price seems good though.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Depending on where you are, give Beatlab in Atlanta a call. They got a double shipment of Monkey Banana Turbos that should sound pretty decent for that price. They should be able to ship to you, but I'm not sure where you are or how far they ship. I'm also not sure what the actual price is because I just don't remember.

Also, with it being near Christmas and all, you might be able to get a pair of JBL LSR305s or Tannoy 502s from Guitar Center for about that price if you actually go into the store and offer it to them.

I'd pick any of those over the AV40 just for the slightly-better bass extension.
    I will be close to Anaheim, California. Any idea of good places where I can get reasonable price for a nice pair? Since this is my first experience getting a speaker, does it actually matter about the speaker? Should it be any particular for-DJing speaker, or any of them works? I heard that I will need an active stereo to work it on.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by drewjonn View Post
    any decent receivers should be enough for me. it might only take place in my room though. is that dayton audio suitable for DJing purpose? since i haven't once heard of it. price seems good though.
    As monitors for bedroom DJing they are well above average. The particle board enclosures would not survive mobile DJ use. For the occasional house party, they are somewhat lacking in overall sound level, but may be enough depending on expectations and the receiver used.

The included instructions are complete and detailed, there is some soldering required. There is a video at the link you can watch...that should be enough to convince you one way or the other.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by drewjonn View Post
    I will be close to Anaheim, California. Any idea of good places where I can get reasonable price for a nice pair? Since this is my first experience getting a speaker, does it actually matter about the speaker? Should it be any particular for-DJing speaker, or any of them works? I heard that I will need an active stereo to work it on.
    I don't know anything about the Anaheim area, but beatlab should ship if you decide to go that way. I'm also pretty sure there's a guitar center in anaheim somewhere.

The speaker matters for sound quality, but it depends on how much you care. Before I was gifted my first set of monitors, I used logitech computer speakers...and those worked fine....they just didn't sound great. Fortunately, I hadn't heard that many good sound systems at the time, so I didn't know how bad they were.

AFAIK, there are no "DJing speakers". Personally, I like powered studio monitors, since IME you get more for your money that way than going with computer speakers or hifi equipment. Obviously soundinmotiondj disagrees and thinks that on the very cheap end, you can get better sound with hifi speakers. I honestly don't know who's right or if the offerings are all that different.

One of the reasons I like powered studio monitors is that they're simpler. Just plug your mixer into them and them into the wall (power)....no receiver or spearate amp to mess with.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I don't know anything about the Anaheim area, but beatlab should ship if you decide to go that way. I'm also pretty sure there's a guitar center in anaheim somewhere.

The speaker matters for sound quality, but it depends on how much you care. Before I was gifted my first set of monitors, I used logitech computer speakers...and those worked fine....they just didn't sound great. Fortunately, I hadn't heard that many good sound systems at the time, so I didn't know how bad they were.

AFAIK, there are no "DJing speakers". Personally, I like powered studio monitors, since IME you get more for your money that way than going with computer speakers or hifi equipment. Obviously soundinmotiondj disagrees and thinks that on the very cheap end, you can get better sound with hifi speakers. I honestly don't know who's right or if the offerings are all that different.

One of the reasons I like powered studio monitors is that they're simpler. Just plug your mixer into them and them into the wall (power)....no receiver or spearate amp to mess with.
    I have to agree that active monitors give easier access to better sound quality, I just don't wanna end up buying additional or extras just to get the quality better.

Sorry for the silly question, but how do I differ the active and passive speakers? Can I have some examples?

Tech Mentor

q
    Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    As monitors for bedroom DJing they are well above average. The particle board enclosures would not survive mobile DJ use. For the occasional house party, they are somewhat lacking in overall sound level, but may be enough depending on expectations and the receiver used.

The included instructions are complete and detailed, there is some soldering required. There is a video at the link you can watch...that should be enough to convince you one way or the other.
    is it powered or does it require receiver and stuffs for better sound quality? tbh i prefer all in one package rather than buying extras separately.

Tech Convert

If you are going with M-Audios go with the AV40. TRUST ME

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast