A couple of questions about gigging with traktor// Also with cdjs 900 nexus
    Tech Mentor

Default A couple of questions about gigging with traktor// Also with cdjs 900 nexus

my set up
    technics 1210
    traktor z2
    novation dicers

hello excuse my ignorance, but i was thinking after going to a rave last weekend, that when IM ready to start getting gigs at clubs how the hell would I use traktor in a club. Say now a club says we will give you set next week how would i even go about it to use traktor would i have to bring my traktor z2 or the sound card even then its gonna be a nightmare to set up in a club.

and with the cdjs bit are them usbs record box just plug in and play straight up,I could go to any club and do a set just with bringing them with me ? I haven't got a slightest clue about cdjs never used them. but im thinking off getting the cdjs nexus 900 and djm 900 just so i can have the industry standard so i feel confident to use them at a club because it feels like traktor is gonna be to much hassle to start off with

I watched the video NI put on you tube about connecting in clubs to the pioneer set up, if I understand it right you can just use a wire with cdj 900 nexus and 900 nexus mixer and be ready in 2 mins ??

Sorry if people are thinking im lazy and need to research but I just dont know how to word it what im asking i have done research but I didnt find the answers

thanks in advance

Tech Mentor

sorry cdj 2000 nexus i ment

Pay attention the next time you see someone switch over when one or both of them is using a laptop. Or, DJTT has a few videos about it on the blog.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. People have been doing it for a while. You just have to know how to do it with the gear that's in the booth and be able to do it in the time available....which is usually anywhere from 1 song to several minutes.

And it is worth both having a sound card and knowing how to do the changeover with it. DJM-800s only have 1 usb port, so if a Traktor DJ takes over from a Traktor DJ who's already using it, you either need to run off another source while you swap that cable or use a separate sound card.

When I've done it, this is what I do....

1. Show up early and have some songs on CDs or on a USB key in case I run out of time. Back in the day, I carried around a handful of records just for that.
    2. Wait until the DJ before me has a second to talk, then see how quickly I can get across what I'm going to do.
    3. For some reason, no one ever uses the digital connections between CDJs and DJMs. So, over his/her last couple mixes, I'll make sure I know exactly what's happening and switch the CDJs over from line to digital IO and change the mixer's input selects to run off them.
    4. At that point, I'm free to use the line inputs, and I just plug in my sound card to the mixer and to mains power and place it off to the side with the usb/fw cable and laptop power cable running to where my laptop is going to be.
    5. I turn on my laptop and get everything organized somewhere near the table (the floor usually works).
    6. Then, I goof off for a little while, chat with the other DJ (while s/he's not mixing, if s/he seems like s/he wants to), etc. while I wait for his/her last couple songs.
    7. When one of us declares "last song", I....
      1. put a CD or USB key into a CDJ he's not using and cue up a song
      2. put my laptop where it's going to go
      3. plug in laptop power
      4. plug in sound card (usb or fw)
      5. plug in usb hub
      6. set my bare minimum controller(s) on a CDJ he's not using and plug it into the hub
      7. start traktor and any other software I'm going to be using
      8. check how much time I have and either wait for traktor to load or mix into the emergency CDJ.
      9. once traktor (etc.) is loaded, switch the mixer inputs to line for any channels that aren't currently playing
      10. cue up a song and manually beat match it to whatever's playing (his last song or my first on the CDJ) on a deck that goes into a channel I can use
    8. Once his/her last song (or my emergency one) is done and I'm free to do whatever I want, I....
      1. move the CDJs out of the way if there's anywhere to put them, or put covers on them if they're available
      2. set up and plug in the rest of my controllers
      3. recheck that all of the mixer's input selectors are set correctly.
      4. play my set.
    9. once my set is wrapping up, after the next DJ comes to say hi, I...
      1. ask what s/he needs of me to do his/her setup. Most of the time, they've just needed the CDJs or TTs back where they go and working.
      2. Start packing up controllers that I don't absolutely need.
      3. As I lose controls for a particular deck, I change the mixer's input for that channel back to the CDJ (which is probably still on the digital IO)
      4. Move the CDJs back or take their covers off as my controllers uncover them or make space for them.
      5. drop my last track as a fairly long song with a relatively quick mix and immediately unplug all of my controllers and move everything but the laptop and sound card out of the way as quickly as possible.
    10. Then, once he's taken over, I
      1. unplug and account for all my gear as it goes back into my bag
      2. put the CDJs back to their line connection instead of the digital ones so that no one gets cofused, obviously waiting for each one until it's not being used at the moment
      3. pull my CD or USB key and put it in my bag.

It all sounds really complicated, but you can practice it at home. Just use an iPod or phone in place of the CDJs. You can also time yourself this way to figure out how much time you need. If you screw up and it goes to silence, stop and figure out what you did and how you can change your procedure to make sure you don't do it again.

The only time it's really complicated is if the mixer is sunk into the console and you don't have access to the back. If that's the case, then hopefully they have a patch bay in place or a sound guy to help you....hopefully both.

I don't think I've ever not been able to do it over the course of 1 song, but I've never followed a hip hop or top40 DJ...and they play shorter songs than I'm used to.

I've also never bothered with the built in sound card on a DJM because I don't own one, don't have the drivers installed, and haven't experimented with the latency settings. It's a risk I'm not willing to take, and I haven't bothered renting one for a weekend to figure everything out.

The much easier way that you'll often see in really nice clubs and at certain festivals is that they'll just have 2 DJ mixers set up, and you plug into the one that isn't actively being used. Another easier way is to either use an all-in-one or bring all of your gear in a case/coffin already wired and ready to go...and just run power to the box and one stereo pair either into the DJ mixer or the FOH mixer....but that doesn't seem to happen very often, which is a shame.

Really, it's not that hard...DJs have been doing it since Final Scratch came out in like 2003.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Pay attention the next time you see someone switch over when one or both of them is using a laptop. Or, DJTT has a few videos about it on the blog.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. People have been doing it for a while. You just have to know how to do it with the gear that's in the booth and be able to do it in the time available....which is usually anywhere from 1 song to several minutes.

And it is worth both having a sound card and knowing how to do the changeover with it. DJM-800s only have 1 usb port, so if a Traktor DJ takes over from a Traktor DJ who's already using it, you either need to run off another source while you swap that cable or use a separate sound card.

When I've done it, this is what I do....

1. Show up early and have some songs on CDs or on a USB key in case I run out of time. Back in the day, I carried around a handful of records just for that.
    2. Wait until the DJ before me has a second to talk, then see how quickly I can get across what I'm going to do.
    3. For some reason, no one ever uses the digital connections between CDJs and DJMs. So, over his/her last couple mixes, I'll make sure I know exactly what's happening and switch the CDJs over from line to digital IO and change the mixer's input selects to run off them.
    4. At that point, I'm free to use the line inputs, and I just plug in my sound card to the mixer and to mains power and place it off to the side with the usb/fw cable and laptop power cable running to where my laptop is going to be.
    5. I turn on my laptop and get everything organized somewhere near the table (the floor usually works).
    6. Then, I goof off for a little while, chat with the other DJ (while s/he's not mixing, if s/he seems like s/he wants to), etc. while I wait for his/her last couple songs.
    7. When one of us declares "last song", I....
      1. put a CD or USB key into a CDJ he's not using and cue up a song
      2. put my laptop where it's going to go
      3. plug in laptop power
      4. plug in sound card (usb or fw)
      5. plug in usb hub
      6. set my bare minimum controller(s) on a CDJ he's not using and plug it into the hub
      7. start traktor and any other software I'm going to be using
      8. check how much time I have and either wait for traktor to load or mix into the emergency CDJ.
      9. once traktor (etc.) is loaded, switch the mixer inputs to line for any channels that aren't currently playing
      10. cue up a song and manually beat match it to whatever's playing (his last song or my first on the CDJ) on a deck that goes into a channel I can use
    8. Once his/her last song (or my emergency one) is done and I'm free to do whatever I want, I....
      1. move the CDJs out of the way if there's anywhere to put them, or put covers on them if they're available
      2. set up and plug in the rest of my controllers
      3. recheck that all of the mixer's input selectors are set correctly.
      4. play my set.
    9. once my set is wrapping up, after the next DJ comes to say hi, I...
      1. ask what s/he needs of me to do his/her setup. Most of the time, they've just needed the CDJs or TTs back where they go and working.
      2. Start packing up controllers that I don't absolutely need.
      3. As I lose controls for a particular deck, I change the mixer's input for that channel back to the CDJ (which is probably still on the digital IO)
      4. Move the CDJs back or take their covers off as my controllers uncover them or make space for them.
      5. drop my last track as a fairly long song with a relatively quick mix and immediately unplug all of my controllers and move everything but the laptop and sound card out of the way as quickly as possible.
    10. Then, once he's taken over, I
      1. unplug and account for all my gear as it goes back into my bag
      2. put the CDJs back to their line connection instead of the digital ones so that no one gets cofused, obviously waiting for each one until it's not being used at the moment
      3. pull my CD or USB key and put it in my bag.

It all sounds really complicated, but you can practice it at home. Just use an iPod or phone in place of the CDJs. You can also time yourself this way to figure out how much time you need. If you screw up and it goes to silence, stop and figure out what you did and how you can change your procedure to make sure you don't do it again.

The only time it's really complicated is if the mixer is sunk into the console and you don't have access to the back. If that's the case, then hopefully they have a patch bay in place or a sound guy to help you....hopefully both.

I don't think I've ever not been able to do it over the course of 1 song, but I've never followed a hip hop or top40 DJ...and they play shorter songs than I'm used to.

I've also never bothered with the built in sound card on a DJM because I don't own one, don't have the drivers installed, and haven't experimented with the latency settings. It's a risk I'm not willing to take, and I haven't bothered renting one for a weekend to figure everything out.

The much easier way that you'll often see in really nice clubs and at certain festivals is that they'll just have 2 DJ mixers set up, and you plug into the one that isn't actively being used. Another easier way is to either use an all-in-one or bring all of your gear in a case/coffin already wired and ready to go...and just run power to the box and one stereo pair either into the DJ mixer or the FOH mixer....but that doesn't seem to happen very often, which is a shame.

Really, it's not that hard...DJs have been doing it since Final Scratch came out in like 2003.
    Thanks great advice im liking the idea of just bringing my setup with me everywhere in a case all wired up or atleast my mixer, also so im assuming you can just plug usbs straight into the cdjs and play tunes

The downside of having everything in a case is that you have to find space for it, which can be really hard in a cramped booth.

It'd be nice if clubs could be counted on to give the same consideration to DJs that most live venues do to bands. But, that is largely not the case.

Hey and thanks for posting! But, please... Don't be sorry for asking questions. lol Just saying.. It's good getting feedback/help, SOMETIMES. haha Anyway... So I've read over post and honestly tell you.. You have nothing to fear. I started spinning on digital and was worried I wouldn't know where to start, my first gig using cdj's. Something tells me you didn't just buy the technics so you'd look cool, like some haha So.. To be honest... You're already one step closer. basically... Cdj's emulate the functions of T.T's Although they don't have that genuine feel. They are the industry standard for a reason. But, back to your next question... I've span at a good number of clubs, in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs and ONE THING is for sure... 96% of venues want you using their set up and even if they let you use yours.. T.T.'s just won't fit. Let alone two and the z2.

I remember spinning a show at Proof nightclub. They had a set of 2000's and I thought WTH lets try using em. One word... AWESOME! No need for sound cards controllers, riser laptop/controller stands. Just need to make sure you have enough usb ports. haha Be aware that if there are no nexus line cdj's/mixer. You will need a separate Traktor-Certified sound card. If you don't already own them. You will need a set of control cc's. N.I sells them for $9 lol Guitar center may or may not sell them separate. I bought the A6 kit. Great purchase and high quality sound card. Came with both control vinyls and control cd's, as well http://www.guitarcenter.com/Native-I...22-i2430979.gc

Link for control cd's http://www.native-instruments.com/en...control-media/

As for getting the nexus's to have for practice/home use. If you have the money... Why not? I would! lol
    But, if you're somewhat on a budget... cdj850's make a great at home solution. Even a set of lightly used ones, if you want a better deal. seen a pair of lightly used 850 mk2's in ALMOST perfect condition selling for $700. I like purchasing new. Mostly for the warranty. But, again. It all depends on budget.
    mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13", S4,VCI-400EG, F1 Rokit 5's

ALSO FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES : http://www.native-instruments.com/en...etup-examples/

Shows labeled layouts and configurations of different equipment and set-up situations
    mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13", S4,VCI-400EG, F1 Rokit 5's

I love the ability to prep at home on traktor, move the workflow to rekord box and just show up at the club with a usb in pocket and some headphones.

With that said, you just gotta check each individual venue as far in advance as you can. I've seen a DJ show up with all his traktor gear only to be told he couldn't bring it in the booth cause there wasn't space and it wasn't going on top of the cdj's. Luckily I had a keyboard stand in my car as a muscian and we ended up making a space for him. So just be prepared and flexible, and get some practice time in on the CDJ's.

Tech Mentor

thanks everyone !