• Sell Them.

4 28.57%
  • Buy the A10 and set them up.

7 50.00%
  • Leave them in the closet.

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Sell 1200s or buy TS A10?

It's bothering me that my TTs are just sitting around. I have an SL1 but no desire to use SSL. I've pulled it/them out a few times over the past few weeks, but i always end up packing them back up and putting my traktor controller-only setup back together.

I figured out how to fit everything in my space after a bit of carpentry...I'd just need to add an A10 to be able to use timecode whenever I so desired.

I don't scratch. And, I'm sold on sync and the workflow I have with X1s and an F1 or Maschine (though I keep thinking about adding one more controller to use Ableton as an effects processor). I've been the happiest for the longest spinning like this, first doing it in like 2010. I keep coming back to it.

I was excited about picking my 1200s up from where they were in storage, but....I just haven't used them. I don't think I'd actually ever use them except for just watching wax spin in front of me while I either do other things with the controllers or idiot-white-boy-dance like I do now.

It doesn't really make any sense at all to use them.

But, I'm having trouble with the decision to sell them. Part of me would rather let them go to someone who's actually going to use them. Another part of me is a bit sickened by the fact that I wouldn't pay today's market prices for 1200s and will probably never own another set. That being said, they're just silver mk2s that are in decent but not perfect shape. If they were M5Gs, this would be a totally different conversation.

If I sell them and the other gear I don't use anymore, it should just about pay for the monitors I want, but I don't really need the money to do it, just to feel better about it.

Also, I kind of want a new audio interface at some point. The A10 would be a downgrade from the FW410 that I'm currently using in terms of raw sound quality (27dBu louder THD+N). There are (perhaps audibly?) better audio interfaces around for similar money. And there are a lot of better ones available for more. A Fireface UCX/UFX is probably drastic overkill at $1600/$2300, but a Scarlett 18i20 should be audibly better for the same $500 that the A10 costs.

So...what would you do?

well from the standpoint that you have no use for them, i would put them away for 10 more years or more to let them build more value. they will never go down in value unless they go back into production. just buy the monitors and consider the 1200s to be like a couple ounces of gold in your closet.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Guru

I dont know man, I think the same sometimes, but then I play with those massive heavy DVS jog wheels, and I remember why i love TTs. I just get pleasure out of manually beatmatching and the sweet slightly out of phase sounds you get from it over sync.

My permanent setup at home is TA6, taking turntable input from TTS and outputting to an Ecler Nuo 2 mixer, with Traktor in external mode.

I have an X1 on each side of the mixer.

So if I decide I want to play records, then i dont have to do anything except press a button. If I want to do cue point DJing, then I can just use the X1s, and not run the TTs. Or any combination of records and digital files.

Having this permanently setup is just super fun and allows me to play as the mood strikes.

Id sell them. You clearly have no desire to use them permanently in your set up and it doesn't sound like DVS is really something that appeals to you long term.

Nostalgia can play tricks with your mind. You don't buy gear as an investment. Ultimately you buy gear that gives you enjoyment. When you don't enjoy something it becomes redundant. When it's redundant it's time to get rid.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Guru

A rotary mixer with no turntables is just wrong Mostapha .
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

For me there are two ways of looking at it-

If you aren't desperately in need of the space and you don't need the money then I wouldn't sell them- you say you would rather let someone have them who is going to use them regularly but there are literally millions of Technics out there, it's not like they are in short supply- you aren't depriving anyone. Anyone who wants a pair can go and buy a pair. Keep yours and if 5 years down the line you get the hankering for regularly spinning on them you are good to go. And if you need a new audio interface anyway, get the A10 and you have all bases covered.

On the other hand if you would rather free up the space there are a ton of Technics out there so it wouldn't be any hardship buying another pair in the furture. And if you are not heavily invested in the cult of the 1200 then there are plenty of other turntables out there that will suit your needs should you want to get turntables again in the future. Sell them and use the money to buy the monitors- then if you want a pair of TTs in 5 years time buy another pair of 1200s/xyz brand. I really don't think you would have to pay any more for a pair than you could sell yours for now.

People keep saying that the price of Technics are going to increase and that they are an investment but I just don't see it myself- not in any vaguely short term anyway. There are so many out there and they are so popular, not to mention the ease with which they are repaired/rebuilt means there will always be a ton of them in circulation.

When I brought mine 18 months ago I had a browse on the classifieds and had six different sellers within just a 5 mile radius. I didn't even bother buying a pair together, I brought the best two from two different sellers and still got a great price on them. It was definitely a buyers market.

My personal opinion would be to keep them and buy the A10 so you are covered should you wish to spin vinyl / dvs in the future. But if you really can't afford the space I wouldn't have any hang ups about selling them. 1200 mk2s are not exactly gold dust.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

You KNOW you don't want to sell 'em!!!

Seriously - even if you don't scratch, mixing with TT's and Traktor is lots of fun. It's ALL of the benefit of decks, with NONE of the down side (heavy vinyl, crates full of records, changing records, etc...).

Decks + an F1 and an X1 will be LOTS of fun (my set up is Decks (+ DJM-850) + F1 + Zomo MC-1000 - and I LOVE mixing like that...)

You know you want an A10...

Quote Originally Posted by most
    That being said, they're just silver mk2s
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

You have seen my 40 year old SL-1100A turntables in my setup. I have had them forever. They have been in and out of the closet, the attic, the garage, a thousand times. I have tried every type of DJ equipment known to man, from newer 1200's, to CD players, to all type of controllers and DVS systems. I keep trying to find different setups that emulate my original, old skool setup with the 1100's and the Bozak rotary. Well, here I am 40 years later, and the 1100's and the Bozak is still my main setup. They are now hooked up to an A10, and I do most of the work with the X1mk2 and sync, but the turntables are still there, even though they aren't doing much except play the mp3's. You have seen my videos, the mixes are super smooth with the giant setup that I have, but the truth is, I can do the same exact mixes with just the Z1 and the X1mk2, it's just not the same thing. It's a whole lot more fun using the turntables. I thought about selling them plenty of times. I'm glad I never did. I kept saying, one of these days they are going to invent something that will make these old turntables fun to use again. Well that day is here for me.

If you don't need the money, put them in the attic, the garage, or the closet. You never know what will be invented in the future that will make them fun to use again. You also never know how your space will change in the future. You might end up with a big ass house with a dedicated sound room where you can build yourself the ultimate DJ room you always wanted. Sure you can sell them and buy another pair in the future, but you only have your original pair once, and that means something. When you get some extra cash, send them out to get a fresh paint job to make them look new again.

I don't know if you ever worked professionally or not as a DJ, but I was a club DJ for a long time. So to me is about sentimental value. That's mainly the main reason I never sold mine, and I am glad I didn't. Set them up or put them up, but don't sell them. If you do, you will eventually regret it, unless they don't have any sentimental value to you.

Panotaker - so much truth in that post!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You KNOW you don't want to sell 'em!!!

Seriously - even if you don't scratch, mixing with TT's and Traktor is lots of fun. It's ALL of the benefit of decks, with NONE of the down side (heavy vinyl, crates full of records, changing records, etc...).
    Setting up in the booth is a bitch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    A rotary mixer with no turntables is just wrong Mostapha .
    This!
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast