Studio monitor and headphone question.
    Tech Mentor

Default Studio monitor and headphone question.

Simple beginner question (not sure if this sounds stupid). I wish to know if there is any particular headphones or monitors with different functions? Say one for DJ-ing and one for music producing. Example V-MODA M100, it's known for DJ headphones and does it require me another particular one for music producing? Or the KRK Rokit 6 G3 studio monitors, I know it's a powered monitor with flat sound. Does it do the same for producing and DJing? I know this question is totally novice but I somehow am still wondering.

You mean like a multifunction, where maybe you could flip a switch for it to be monitor and DJ headphone? If so, then no, im not aware of anything. DJ headphones will be made to take physical abuse (AHEM Sony MDR-V700DJ), high sustained volumes, warmer sounds, etc.

I have a pair of DJ headphones and separate studio ones.

The real thing that matters here is to know what you're listening on and the sound that that particular speaker or headphone have. listen to all your music thru them, get to really know the sound. If you can get a feel that your v-moda's have a bit of a boosted bass, when you go to produce you can still use them as long as you A/B compare to professionally produced tracks to tell that your track gets the same sort of sound coming from them as well. That will ensure it translates well to other systems.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

DJ headphones will be made to take physical abuse (AHEM Sony MDR-V700DJ), high sustained volumes, warmer sounds, etc.
    Sony mdr-v6 or 7506's they will take a ridiculous amount of abuse - just replace the pads with velour or sheepskin ($20) ones when the originals flake apart after a year or two.

However for producing ideally you use headphones + monitors + every other speaker you can test on, something that sounds great on a $1000 set of monitors might sound like crap on a $20 mp3 speaker or car stereo.

Yes and no.

Speakers are speakers and headphones are headphones.

Headphones marketed towards DJs tend to sound bassy and loud with no focus on sound quality, but not all of them. Studio headphones are flatter with a more extended high frequency response, at least mostly.

Speakers marketed as studio monitors have more variation....they typically have either a flat-ish frequency response or a frowning frequency response (forward mids)...but there's a good bit of variation. "Studio monitors are flat" is a marketing lie. Pick a price point, and I'll find you 2 studio monitors that sound very different.

KRKs are anything but flat. They're smile-EQ bookshelf speakers marketed as studio monitors.

So, in answer to your question.....I'd rather use the same speakers for everything (production, mixing, mastering, djing, listening)....but that's often not feasible.

So....really...what are you looking for?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yes and no.

Speakers are speakers and headphones are headphones.

Headphones marketed towards DJs tend to sound bassy and loud with no focus on sound quality, but not all of them. Studio headphones are flatter with a more extended high frequency response, at least mostly.

Speakers marketed as studio monitors have more variation....they typically have either a flat-ish frequency response or a frowning frequency response (forward mids)...but there's a good bit of variation. "Studio monitors are flat" is a marketing lie. Pick a price point, and I'll find you 2 studio monitors that sound very different.

KRKs are anything but flat. They're smile-EQ bookshelf speakers marketed as studio monitors.

So, in answer to your question.....I'd rather use the same speakers for everything (production, mixing, mastering, djing, listening)....but that's often not feasible.

So....really...what are you looking for?
    Versatility.

I'd prefer to use at least only different headphones and same monitors all over. About my post asking about studio monitors, I've decided to go with the JBL LSR-305. Not sure if it's capable of handling studios. Since headphones deal directly to ears then I think it's mandatory to get a specific one.

Nothing is mandatory in this game, mate.

I use Sennheiser HD438's - they sound fine, but they are super comfortable.

Whatever is important to you (to me, it's comfort) dictates what you buy.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

to each his own with headphones. I like to buy whatever last years models are so I can get them cheap (VMODA LP2 vs M100, more similar than you think, but one folds up...) It gives me the opportunity to try different companies and different sounds. You need to know what you want going in though. Most items labeled for DJ's these days are bass heavy, a studio set should give you a flatter response across the sound spectrum. Think about how much of a beating you're going to put on them before investing in an expensive set. After a few gigs in a loud environment they will eventually lose their spark.