Rane SL3

Thread: Rane SL3

Default Rane SL3

Hello

So I was reading the article and watching DJ Enferno's video:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/12/0...th-dj-enferno/

And I was just wondering, I plan on buying an SL3 but before I do, I want to know if it would be possible to run serato scratch live and ableton at the same time. I want to be able to incorporate my midi keyboard with ableton's drum/instrumental rack while also DJing (exactly how Enferno does it). Also, seeing that I will be spending that much, I don't want to have to spend on another audio interface to be separate from when I am using Serato scratching for DJing.

I have heard you can use SL3 as a producing audio interface. But how effective is it during say, a live performance? I have a macbook pro 15.

In the article, he mentions that he runs ableton through the DJM 900 mixer. I am still trying to fully understand how he does that.

Tech Mentor

I can't help with the SL3 and Ableton question as I have never tried it but to help you understand him running it through the DJM 900 it has a 4 in 4 out sound card built into it so he must being using the SL3 for Serato and the 900 sound card for Ableton

Tech Mentor

That is correct, Ableton can run through Rane sound cards, so those with SL interfaces can run Ableton and Serato at the same time, with Ableton in one channel and Serato decks in the other channels. If your are thinking about an SL3, I'd give serious consideration to upgrading to an SL4, as that gives you much more flexibility with setup and possible expansion of your gear in the future. It will also hold it's retail value very well. I bought a used SL4 three years ago for $650 and ended up selling it this year (having switched to Traktor) for $700.

Hardware Q, hardware forum.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

i have considered just going for the top tier SL but only if i can find something for cheap. i was actually going to consider the sl2 cause of pricing but sl3 looks to be the one where i can incorporate a midi keyboard.

So what I will do is plug ableton into the aux inputs with the serato on the two decks?
    Last edited by sicnarf033; 12-16-2014 at 01:20 PM.