Learning to scratch on a controller - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    I enjoyed scratching on the Numark 4Trak, those jog wheels are nicely weighted.
    +1 on what he said, I pretty much like my 4Trak in general.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Hey,
    Im in exactly this position but i am 45, last time I used my decks was over 20 years ago and suddenly after watching loads of You Tube videos of people djing on controllers decided the time was right to start again (kids now gown up).

Anyway, i am one step ahead i have ordered a Reloop TM8, hopefully this should be good enough for me to get going, the reason i went for the TM8 was the fact the Jog wheels looked pretty good and it hit my budget.

I started out djing Hip hop in the early 80s and finished in 91-92 playing Hardcore/Techno, I used to play out a couple of times a week at that point, still with my wife who i met whilst DJing all those years ago, shes not so pleased about me starting this all over again!

Good luck.

I've tried scratching on my VCI300. The jogs just don't move right. With vinyl the turntable is still moving under the matt so it feels totally different.

I'm pondering what the various rotating jogwheel controllers feel like. I have a soft spot for weird hardware so I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the old Technics DZ1200 that tanked and got made irrelevant by the rise of the CDJ. Apparently they are pretty good with timecodes. There is also a Denon thing that I can't remember the model name of that is supposedly very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
    I've tried scratching on my VCI300. The jogs just don't move right. With vinyl the turntable is still moving under the matt so it feels totally different.

I'm pondering what the various rotating jogwheel controllers feel like. I have a soft spot for weird hardware so I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the old Technics DZ1200 that tanked and got made irrelevant by the rise of the CDJ. Apparently they are pretty good with timecodes. There is also a Denon thing that I can't remember the model name of that is supposedly very good.
    dont bother with the sldz just yet...I may heard about a MKIII model, which could have midi support.

The denon thing your looking for is called the 3700 or the 3900, both really cool models. But no HID support for traktor, just midi

The denon thing your looking for is called the 3700 or the 3900, both really cool models. But no HID support for traktor, just midi
    midi on them is just for mapping buttons and knobs, scratching is done via timecode.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    midi on them is just for mapping buttons and knobs, scratching is done via timecode.
    I guess you can use a traktor control cd with them, but I do know the 3700 puts out a integrated serato timecode

New version of the SL-DZ? Weird. That thing was discontinued forever ago.

I always liked the look of those things. And the hack a few people did to put a piece of wax in place of the crappy plastic platter was kinda cool. Unfortunately, they were expensive and junk when they came out.

i saw this, im not saying its fact or anything but it looks interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAy...ature=youtu.be

Whats your budget?

DJ Tech Dif-1s $150 to $180

Used Direct Drive turntable $100-$200

Super Seal $14

so around $400 go with turntables. you wont have the experience or muscle memory to compensate on a controller for the latency. If you see someone rip it on a controller they are a beast on Wax.

I guess you can use a traktor control cd with them, but I do know the 3700 puts out a integrated serato timecode
    correct, 3700 outputs traktor mk1 signal and various others, 3900 outputs mk2 and others. so when you manipulate the rotating platter, you control the software via generated timecode signal (no need for control cd's). you don't control it with midi in that sence (except for VDJ which has native HID connection with denon players).
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast