Learning to scratch on a controller - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've still to yet get around to learning scratching but the jogs on the Pioneer XDJ-Aero are beautifully responsive and smooth- you don't even need a laptop as it can run of usb or even an iphone (though it also plays well with tractor/vdj and I've managed to programme it to work with Mixvibes Cross which I love)

maybe worth a look at - excellent sound quality and you can pick them up pretty cheap 2nd hand
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

Tech Guru

If you want to scratch on a controller it can be done.....but you are somewhat limited on what scratches you can pull off. There’s still TONS you can do though. I would STRONGLY and I mean STRONGLY recommend you get a Serato Controller and check out the SDJ forum at Serato. Tons of guys scratching over there.

Will it be the same as 1200’s no. Can you still pull off a few scratches yes and learn yes. From the controllers I’ve used
    1. NS7 - rotating platters as real as it gets
    2. VCI-300 - you can adjust the tension allowing for some tighter movements
    Tied. NS6/DDS-SR - good sized and touch sensitive, but free floating so no real resistance

I’d buy a used controller to start with and go from there if you’re just messing around at home.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

also let me add. If your going to learn....please learn, don’t use a gater trick or looped white noise or whatever clever trick someone uses to make a scratch “sound”. Honestly, that’s faking it. If you want to make a scratch sound......scratch. Here’s a vid I just grabbed randomly from youtube. Guy is tearing it up.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    also let me add. If your going to learn....please learn, don’t use a gater trick or looped white noise or whatever clever trick someone uses to make a scratch “sound”. Honestly, that’s faking it.
    You beat me to it.
    If you move the platter back and forth and the FX make it sound like you are scratching - you are not scratching. It's lame.

Here’s a vid I just grabbed randomly from youtube. Guy is tearing it up.

i'm going to set the standard and say that guy is not tearing it up…. lol no patterns or power scratches at least he's having fun maybe go with a cdj 800 mk2 and a random mixer with an innofader

this is kinda tearing it up. a few of his cuts are sloppy but overall is dope.

Tech Guru

Ha! Ok tearing it up relative to using a small VCI-300 (I agree it’s more of him doing his thing and having fun than “killin it") Wanted to show that it can be done on a controller and even if it’s not DMC level, you can still get at it.

BUT this dude above is using a Pioneer 909 battle mixer with an innofader!! Whole ‘nother level of set up. I sold my VCI for 150.00 bucks and it comes with Serato DJ.

Here check another video.....pretty neat routine on a VCI.

Ha! Ok tearing it up relative to using a small VCI-300 (I agree it’s more of him doing his thing and having fun than “killin it") Wanted to show that it can be done on a controller and even if it’s not DMC level, you can still get at it.

BUT this dude above is using a Pioneer 909 battle mixer with an innofader!! Whole ‘nother level of set up. I sold my VCI for 150.00 bucks and it comes with Serato DJ.

Here check another video.....pretty neat routine on a VCI.

Yeap Dj Deception is a beast i've heard and checked him out a few times If you go back a few post i said start with vinyl so when you switch to a controller you will have the muscle memory and that anyone that is dope on a controller is a beast i stand by that statement.

here is the same DJ as above DJ Deception on Vinyl

i would never purposely give out information publicly without knowing what i'm talking about.

I should add you can drop an innofader into a VCI300 (both versions, easier on the mk2) if that is your thing.

Tech Guru

also let me add. If your going to learn....please learn, don’t use a gater trick or looped white noise or whatever clever trick someone uses to make a scratch “sound”. Honestly, that’s faking it.
    "Faking it" covers a wide range of possible "offenses"...the line between "using technology wisely" and "cheating" remains the subject of a great deal of debate. In macro terms, the "electrification" of the guitar was only "recently" settled as being an "actual" musical instrument. Contrast that with the piano that has been around in the "modern" form for about 300 years.

There are ongoing debates about the "authenticity" of scratching with vinyl that has "scratch samples" rather than finding the right section of a full track. Whenever it is "decided," kindly let me know which side of that debate "won" and I'll make a note for future reference.

If you want to learn to scratch with vinyl...by all means do that. The turntable is hardly an "obvious" device to use as a musical instrument. The "accidental" use of the turntable as a musical instrument carries with it a great many "accidental" constraints. But trying to "scratch" with anything other than turntables and vinyl will require some "compromises." Even using control vinyl is not "the same" total experience.

If you want to learn to make "scratch sounds"...then do that. The crossfader work required is still "the same" (or very similar) and allows some limited exploration of the total skillset required to scratch with vinyl.

Controllerism is evolving (almost) daily at this point. There are advances with new software and hardware being released every couple of months. In practical terms, it is still possible for a new technique for controllerism to be invented at every gig!

Determine the sound you desire to make, and then take advantage of everything in front of you to achieve that goal. Do not let ANYONE (including me) put constraints on YOUR art form.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

I’m not sure why you tried to get “deep” with your response if your simply trying to say it’s ok to make scratch sounds even if your not really scratching due to evolving technology.

Yes faking it was supposed to come off as offensive and discourage him from, well....faking it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast