Traktor Kontrol X1 Announced! - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Student

Default re: Kontrol x1

hello all
    all the info on this one here: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...-x1/?page=1206
    including every setup permutation possible and if your in the uk checkout http://www.decks.co.uk its 179gbp for one (2decks) or 355gbp for two (4decks) but then you need the 300+gbp Audio Kontrol 8.
    Am currently considering what controller to go for, only things against this one (for me) is no sliders (pitch, although i could probably get used to the buttons) or volume/EQ's but it shouldn't be too hard to remap some of the effects section rotaries to do that.
    Last edited by Architect; 11-03-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: extra info: ships Feb 2010

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    but then you need the 300+gbp Audio Kontrol 8.
    Dude , not sure what that means. There no such device. Also You can use any soundcard with Traktor Pro as the contollers are not connected to the card.

Re: Connection. You cant daisy chain USB devices so if you used 2 X1s you would need a Powered USB HUB.

The X1 uses a proprietary protocol that works only with Traktor. Of course you can use and map it via Midi for other software.

Its not specifically aimed at the DVS market. Its equally aimed at DJs that use external mixers or controllers that have Mixer sections (such as the VCI). But obviously if you use DVS it will fit in your setup really easily (much like an Xone 1D or Faderfox).

No faders or jog, just control over the software functions that you may not have with a traditional setup.

Its multifunction buttons or designed to function intuitively with Traktor.

It would also work as an amazing FX unti with the VCI 300 and is considerably cheaper and more functional the the VFX1.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 11-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djlokifl View Post
    I think its more of a matter of it being designed to really work with other control methods to address a specific workflow that seems to be missing with those control methods without using things like shift keys, modifiers, or the computer keyboard. Specifically dealing with fx, browsing, and looping which seem to be an afterthought in most other control methods.
    That's where I really don't agree (respectfully of course). There's tons of existing devices which do this and a whole lot more, and for cheaper. FX, Browsing, Looping, etc, they are all just mapped to a button. What that button is is completely arbitrary and completely up to you (unless you use someone else's mapping).

Just seems like a big waste of money, masked by the language of marketing. I hope I'm wrong because I'm finding less and less reason to use Traktor these days.

One of the most requested things on the Traktor forum is an NI Controller.
    Now theyve made one.

Im struggling to think of any really well built controller that does all that for that price.

Id even finally concede that my beloved Faderfox has finally been trumped.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    This trick, is it user configurable like midi mapping? or is the whole thing set in it's ways when it comes to how it works with Traktor? I have already imagined some good uses for this thing with it's high def resolution, but is no good unless the thing is mappable.
    Right .. from the video it really seems like the controller can do some nice stuff. But it will only do it according to their definition of what constitutes an "intuitive" workflow. I guess for many musicians thats fine, since they do not want to deal with MIDI mapping. But it also means that sites like DJTT can also not provide them with alternative mappings.

NI missed a chance to come out with a bang by supporting OSC and becoming market leader in providing a mass market OSC controller. Instead they wasted time reinventing the wheel.

I hope their closed mindedness will spell doom for them sooner than later, then again all the other commercial competitors seem to have the same mindset, leaving the door open for a disruptive competitor .. maybe Mixxx .. maybe bitwig .. maybe someone else .. but hopefully someone.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'm not really sure why this isn't good enough, let alone great.

If you use Traktor Pro you now have an instant controller for the most basic of functions, allowing you to then take your external controllers to an even new level. If you use DVS this controller can make your life infinitely easier, as I see it.

If you don't, you now have an even easier way of easily controlling four decks in a basic mode, freeing up your VCI or controller of choice to map to do even bigger things without having to worry about your transport buttons.

You have even deeper control and visual feedback for hotcues now. those buttons might not be as limber as the arcade buttons, but if you use them in tandem it can be a really interesting combination.

It isn't perfect for everyone, but I don't think anyone is ever going to make that. This isn't NI dropping the ball. This is NI making a controller very well suited for their software to make DJs lives easier. We aren't exactly the majority in the market. Just look at it from the angle of how many DJs download Ean's mappings. They aren't looking to make their own. They want something that works and works well. This is a simple controller, that can be combined for 4 deck control and 4 FX bank control... that's really powerful, if you ask me (not that anyone is, of course).

And there's still MIDI assignments you can make to have it do whatever you want. I'm assuming you lose a lot of the LED feedback, though, which is going to be a huge selling point of this.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    But it also means that sites like DJTT can also not provide them with alternative mappings.
    They can. Anyone can freely remap the device completely.
    NI have designed it to be used 'intuitively' with Traktor. Of course they have.
    If you use Traktor you will use the NI protocol. If you use other software you will use Midi.

I dont get the big fuss over NI making a controller designed to work really well with NI software.

If you dont like it dont buy one. Whats the big deal. I dont see any close mindedness at all.

I just dont get all this "oh open source is way more cool" and this opposition to NI . Who cares. Mixx can do whatever they like. Their hardly likely to bring NI to its knees just cus its made a controller.

Just the typical obsession people have with rubbishing everything the big bad NI do.

Its just a controller for gods sake (a bloody well made and cheap one at that)

???baffled???

I've had enough of your propaganda Karlos. BEGONE!

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    This isn't NI dropping the ball. This is NI making a controller very well suited for their software to make DJs lives easier. .
    Exactly.

GAAAAHHHH you British Brit! BEGOOONE I SAY!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast