Was the Novation Twitch ahead of its time?

Default Was the Novation Twitch ahead of its time?

I've been looking at a lot of different controllers lately trying to decide which would suit my style best and out of all of them the Twitch still seems to be one of the most innovative.

So how come its discontinued? Is it safe to say that with what NI are doing with the S8 that the Twitch was a few years ahead of its time? Maybe there weren't enough people willing to try?

Im definitely going to be picking one up because at the current SH price it's a steal!

Anyone here using one?
    Last edited by Bombtrack; 12-18-2014 at 06:37 PM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

It's probably the audio interface's lower output is most likely what ended up killing it. S8 does quite a tad more than what Twitch does so it's not really fair comparing them but i have to agree that the Twitch did add some fresh spice to the mix when it got released.

Well yeah I realise the S8 is on a different level, I was more referring to the lack of jogwheels.

Can the output issue be solved by routing through an external card?

Yes, it can.

And, yeah...the twitch never really appealed to me. When it came out, I was already using X1s, and it didn't seem to add anything except the slicer mode that I still don't really like. But, yeah....I think the reason it flopped was because people weren't ready for an all-in-one that couldn't use platters of any kind.

Then again, NI is a bit more hard-headed than a lot of companies. So, the S8 might be a sales flop too so far and we just don't know it. There certainly are a lot of complaints about the lack of jog wheels that seem to completely ignore the included DVS.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yes, it can.

And, yeah...the twitch never really appealed to me. When it came out, I was already using X1s, and it didn't seem to add anything except the slicer mode that I still don't really like. But, yeah....I think the reason it flopped was because people weren't ready for an all-in-one that couldn't use platters of any kind.

Then again, NI is a bit more hard-headed than a lot of companies. So, the S8 might be a sales flop too so far and we just don't know it. There certainly are a lot of complaints about the lack of jog wheels that seem to completely ignore the included DVS.

That's a valid point. I guess the whole jog wheel thing will be a bone of contention for a lot of people, although for me (and I come from a vinyl background ) I really do think they are an outdated concept for a controller. I mean obviously jogs do provide a good level of control, and they feel familiar, but apart from scratching, IMO anyway, I think a touchstrip replaces 99℅ of the functionality.

Also, if I can ask, was the X1 your main controller and what you thought of it ? The other set up I'm looking at is a single X1 mk2 and a Z1.

I've had X1-based setups twice now. First a pair of them and a Maschine with a xone:62, a long break, and now a pair of them and an F1 with a Rane Rotary. I just love X1s. They're well-built, easy to set up, easy to use, really satisfying (to me) in a way that a lot of controllers aren't. I think I discuss a bit of why in my setup thread, but...what it boils down to is that I don't think there's anything better out there for how I want to play. The S8 is [i]close[i] to being better, but it still doesn't fit as well for me.

Now if I could just sell the equipment I'm not using.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I've had X1-based setups twice now. First a pair of them and a Maschine with a xone:62, a long break, and now a pair of them and an F1 with a Rane Rotary. I just love X1s. They're well-built, easy to set up, easy to use, really satisfying (to me) in a way that a lot of controllers aren't. I think I discuss a bit of why in my setup thread, but...what it boils down to is that I don't think there's anything better out there for how I want to play. The S8 is [i]close[i] to being better, but it still doesn't fit as well for me.

Now if I could just sell the equipment I'm not using.
    Ah that's good to hear, because I've just won a mint Z1 and X1 mk 2 on eBay!

Before the S8 came out I thought that the Twitch was ahead of its time now that the S8 is here we've finally caught up lol.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip