Advice about buying PA setup!
    Tech Wizard

Default Advice about buying PA setup!

Hi guys.

I'm considering a about lot starting a reasonably small mobile disco with my friend. I've begun the search for PA system and lights, and I'm very lost in the PA jungle .. I don't really have a budget of some kind, but I'm really reluctant to paying over 1700$ as a start. My preferred price range is from 850-1700$, maybe a few hundred more. I have a couple of questions so, I hope you can help me!

Question no. 1: I've read that 10W per person in speakers is optimal, is this true? And does this mean that 2 speakers of 500W, meaning 1000W in total, is enough for 100 people?

Question no. 2: What affect does the driver size on subs have? And how big driver size/watt is enough for, let's say, 100 people?

Question no. 3: I have a S4 which, some of you know, only has jack outputs. Does that matter in relation to sound quality?

Question no. 4: I've found some setups in my price range, can you give some advice if it's any good, if there's any cons, maybe changes? Feel free to recommend better setups!

Setup 1:

Speakers - http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_eurolive_b215d.htm

Sub - http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_ta18.htm

Setup 2:

Speakers - http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_srm_350_v2_black.htm

Sub - ??? Please recommend!

Setup 3:

Speakers - http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_thump15.htm

Sub - http://www.thomann.de/dk/mackie_thump18s.htm

Setup 4:

Speakers - http://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_312_a_mk_iii.htm

Sub - http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_ta18.htm

Hope any of you can help! Thanks in advance

Tech Mentor

I like the RCF Art series a lot!! Clear mid range with a not to much ''hyped'' high end.

Don't know about that sub though...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ondmis View Post
    Question no. 1: I've read that 10W per person in speakers is optimal, is this true? And does this mean that 2 speakers of 500W, meaning 1000W in total, is enough for 100 people?
    Sound level is not measured in "watts," but rather "decibels." In general, the relative efficiency of a particular cabinet at producing sound levels is quoted as "?? dB @ 1w @1m". If you do not see that spec CLEARLY listed, the manufacturer is trying to screw you.

"Watts" is akin to "gallons of gas." So, your question is akin to asking "...is 10 gallons of fuel per person enough for a road trip..." ??? You are lacking the "efficiency" specs to make the actual calculation. Is this a diesel sub compact that is getting 50-60 mpg, or an RV that is getting 4 mpg...??? Do you need to haul two people in a hybrid, or are you taking a baseball team in a charter bus? Are you going across town, or driving from NYC to LA (and back)?

There is not enough information in "watts" to provide you with any reasonable advice. Is this a spoken word PA? Are you playing the Superbowl halftime show? Will this be used for live music? Is this for a DnB festival? These are important answers to understand BEFORE you put down $,$$$ on a PA.

"Peak" SPL is a lie. Base all your decisions on the LOWEST quoted power rating for the cabinets. That number is more reliable.

When adding speakers, if the cabinets are touching, each doubling of the cabinet count (e.g. 2, 4, 8, 16, etc) will add about +6dB to the total output. If the cabinets are not touching, separate them by 2 wavelengths (about 56ft for subs, or 22ft for tops), and each will have their own coverage area at the rated sound levels.

Question no. 2: What affect does the driver size on subs have? And how big driver size/watt is enough for, let's say, 100 people?
    The total power limited "swept volume" (Vd) is the critical parameter. Larger cones tend to have more volume...but there are limits. For mobile applications, I find that the 15" direct radiating sub is the best overall compromise. The SPL of a 15" sub will be 1-2dB lower, but the cabinet will be 50% less pack space and 1/3 lighter than a 18" sub. That said, there are some dual 10" loaded subs that fit VERY well into a mobile PA system.

Content matters. If the content is "live music" or "Top 40", then two 15" subs, of reasonable specs, will be sufficient for 100 people. If the content is heavy DnB or other bass heavy EDM music, you might need 4 or 8 18" subs to be "adequate." You need to understand how to convert SPL into "audience experience" to really be able to evaluate PA systems.

Question no. 3: I have a S4 which, some of you know, only has jack outputs. Does that matter in relation to sound quality?
    No. The S4 has both "balanced" and "unbalanced" outputs. Used correctly, either is OK, but my preference is always for the "balanced" outputs.

Question no. 4: I've found some setups in my price range, can you give some advice if it's any good, if there's any cons, maybe changes? Feel free to recommend better setups!
    What is the content you will be playing?
    What are you expectations around the sound level required?
    What kind of pack space do you have available to move the system around?

For 100 people, two tops and two subs would be my starting point. The RFC based option is at least a reasonable starting point. If that is not sufficient, then doubling that system (at some point) would be a reasonable long(er) term plan.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I run 2 500 watt rms top 15sand 1 15 sub 800watt rms 1 12 400watt rms stacked and I easily rock 300 in a venue with similar capacity.... The diZe of area is far more important then people

I would suggest hiring the equipment for the first couple if gigs before you lay out. For starters, it'll be like research and help you understand what you are dealing with at venues. Hiring allows you to be flexible for different sized gigs. If it doesn't work out the way you wanted youre not out of pocket.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I would suggest hiring the equipment for the first couple if gigs before you lay out. For starters, it'll be like research and help you understand what you are dealing with at venues. Hiring allows you to be flexible for different sized gigs. If it doesn't work out the way you wanted youre not out of pocket.
    This is a great idea to get to know what kind of setup will work best

Hardware question > hardware forum
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --